Chapter 1

"Y/N! You're flying too fast!" I can hear Gruff yelling at me as we're flying over the ocean. The nice smell of the salt-filled water fills my nostrils, the smell of freedom. "You smell that Gruff?" I say as I look down into the ocean. "The smell of you being a cheater?" Gruff replies very sassily, I can tell he only said that because I was a faster flier than him.

"No, the smell of our freedom and dignity. The smell is intoxicating." I raise my head in the air as we fly past some sea stacks. "Are you getting the feeling of eating other dragons again?" Gruff inquires, suspicious of my motives. "You only talk about things being 'intoxicating' when you have a joke that you want to eat other dragons." Gruff replies very sassily. I turn back to look at him with the most offended look I can pull off. My jaws open, my eyes wide, the whole thing. "How rude, I would never do anything like that, ever!"

I turn my chin up while looking at the sky, like I'm very offended and expecting an apology. "You made a joke about how the smell of other dragons was intoxicating and they would taste, and I quote 'Delicious, as their blood runs down my mouth as I eat them.' not even 8 hours ago." I look back down at him with a sheepish look in my eyes. "Well, the population of dragons need to be thinned out. Especially Monstrous Nightmares, they're the worst." I start gliding through the air.

Gruff joins right beside me and looks at me with a tilted head. "How so?" He asks with some confusion in his voice. I turn my head and look at him with confusion. "They're big, and mean, they always attack us on sight." I huff out, just the thought makes me want to tear one apart with my claws. "They only attack you on sight, not me. That's because you always approach them with your tusks extracted and tail curled." Gruff explains my behavior towards Monstrous Nightmares.

"That's only because I think they're going to attack me, which they do!" I retort, my tusks had slightly came out of my lower jaw, and my tail curled on instinct. "See? You're so tense Y/N, you need to relax every once and a while." Gruff huffs at me, looking exasperated. Now he's doing that thing where his species; Hobblegrunts, do where they effect other dragons feelings around them. I feel slightly more relaxed and calmer, despite how tense I was before.

"I don't understand how you do it, Gruff. How are you so relaxed and calm all of the time?" I sigh, my tusks retract into my bottom jaw. My tail is still curled but that's sort of an instinctual thing. "I just don't always worry about getting attacked every second. Not every dragon thinks about attacking us everytime they see us." Gruff says in a calming purr. The colors on his scales turned into a shade of yellow and some pink spots. He had told me this meant he was happy or calmed.

"Maybe I should try to relax every once and a while." I wonder softly, I've been trying to change for the better of Gruff. It gets hard when my instincts are telling me that I should eat every dragon I see. As me and Gruff fly lower to the ocean, we can see some scauldrons jumping out of the water. I watch in amazement at how they could be so careless when there are two unknown dragons near them. One of the Scauldrons pops his head out of the water and leans it towards me.

I lean towards Gruff because I don't know what this Scauldron will do. Gruff nudges me towards the Scauldron and when I look towards him, he nods his head towards the Scauldron. I lean towards the Scauldron and it leans back some, it seems to be wary of me. It's humorous that the same dragon I am unsure of is wary of me too. I try to purr, like how Gruff does, but a gurgled growl only comes from my throat.

The Scauldron seems to laugh at my attempt to purr and I see the flap on its throat inflate. I put my claw over to where Gruff was but he isn't there, I look over and I see him flying away from me. "Gruff-!" I'm not able to finish as the Scauldron sprays me with water. It's not it's scaulding hot water, it's just normal sea water. I blink in confusion and the Scauldron lets out a gurgle that sounds like a laugh. I shake my head and wings, my tail rattling as I shook it too. "Cold!" I whimper, shivering at the cold sea water. The Scauldron puts it's head near my body, it's nuzzling me? It then retracts it's head back into the water and it leaves with it's pack.