Chapter 4: 1912

MIKAELSON MANSION

[Klaus and Rebekah are next to the fireplace looking at the picture on Rebekah's phone. Ash walks in.]

Ash: I said bye to Kol. What are you doing?

Rebekah: We have a problem. Look.

[She gestures to the phone. Ash walks over and sees a picture of Elena. Ash looks confused]

Ash: What am I looking at? Is it her hair personally I think curled hair would look better on-

Klaus: No love, look at the tree.

Ash: [Gasps] Is that the white oak tree?

Rebekah: Yes.

Ash: But I thought we burnt it?

Klaus: It must have grown back.

Ash: Ugh, damn you mother nature! What are we going to do?

Rebekah: Well, I don't know what Niks going to do but me and you are going to go have a nice chat with the mayor to see if she has any information on the whereabouts of this tree.

Ash: [To Klaus] So I guess that means we're not going to Paris?

Klaus: We will, but first we need to burn this tree.

MYSTIC GRILL

[Carol, Ash and Rebekah are sitting at a table together, talking.]

Rebekah: Thank you for meeting with us, Mayor. I figured as head of the Preservation Society, you'd be a good person to ask about the oldest trees in this community.

Carol: A long line of Lockwood women use to keep those records, back before any of them had actual jobs.

Ash: we've been to the Founders' archive, but we can't seem to find any record of the tree we're looking for.

Carol: It probably got cut down. Big old trees built half of this town in the 1900s.

[Stefan and Damon enter the Grill and head toward the bar.]

Damon: Oh, She-Devils at nine o'clock.

[Damon and Rebekah stare at each other.]

Rebekah: Do you happen to know who kept the milling ledgers during that period?

Carol: Back then all the logging mills were owned by the Salvatores.

[Damon and Stefan are at the bar.]

Damon: So what does a medical examiner, Bill Forbes, and Alaric Saltzman have in common?

[Stefan starts tapping his ring on the counter.]

Damon: Come on, knock it off.

[Stefan pours himself a drink.]

Damon: You know, quitting blood cold turkey after a ripper binge might not be the best approach. Every time you play that all-or-nothing game, you eventually leave a trail of bodies. So, I'm thinking, now is a good time to pay our old friend Moderation a visit.

Stefan: They were all on the Founders' Council, Damon. That's what they all have in common.

Damon: But why them? Huh? Brian Walters and Alaric weren't from founding families. I mean, hey, if you're gonna slaughter council members, go A-list. At least in 1912, they killed a Salvatore.

[Ash and Rebekah come up behind them.]

Ash: Which Salvatore would that be?

Rebekah: So, Zachariah Salvatore was your nephew?