Chapter 15: The Killer

SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE

[Stefan finishes up writing in his journal.]

Stefan: [voiceover] So, that's what I need to do. No matter what Klaus asks, no matter what lies I have to tell or secrets I have to keep, I'll do it. No matter what it takes.

[Stefan's phone goes off. He checks it. He has received a text from Klaus saying "We have a problem."]

Stefan: [on the phone with Klaus] How the hell did Connor escape?

ITALY

[Klaus wanders around an excavation dig site as he chats on the phone with Stefan. There are many people helping to dig up the sword, presumably all compelled by Klaus.]

Klaus: I'd blame my numbing incompetence, but pointing fingers isn't going to help me, you're going to help me.

Stefan: Well, he could be anywhere now.

Klaus: Think, Stefan. He took the hybrid's head which means he wants werewolf toxin.

Stefan: Which means he plans to stay in Mystic Falls to kill vampires.

Klaus: Which is a pity, as I'm half the world away digging up a dead hunter, you'll have no access to my blood and therefore, the antidote. Nevertheless, his tattoo is our only map to the cure, so your task is quite simple; find him, catch him, and above all, keep him alive. He's no good to us dead.

Stefan: Is Ash with you?

Klaus: How many times have I told you this Stefan? Don't trust anyone. If I told Ash that there was a cure for vampirism, she would kill anyone to get it. Not because she wants the cure but because she knows Rebekah wants it. I can't risk her killing everyone in her path including Elena so you better be grateful I'm not including her.

Stefan: So is she still here in Mystic Falls with Conner?

Klaus: No, I told her to go to New York on some wild goose chase.

Stefan: What about Damon, he's been looking everywhere for Connor, if they cross paths....

Klaus: You'll need to keep Damon in check.

Stefan: It would be a lot easier if I could just tell him the truth.

Klaus: You trust Damon with the cure? I imagine he prefers Elena the way she is.

Stefan: Nice try, Klaus. But I trust Damon a hell of a lot more than I trust you.

Klaus: And I trust no one. Which is why my sister is lying daggered in a box and my wife is in New York far away from all this. The more who find out about the cure, the more who will go after it. Nations have gone to war over less. You mark my words, tell one soul and I will throw the hunter's sword in the Mediterranean and we can end this quest right now. Am I understood?

[Stefan says nothing and hangs up his phone.]

MYSTIC GRILL

[The Grill is closed. Matt is in it alone, getting ready to open it up. He calls Jeremy and leaves him a voice message.]

Matt: Really? Jeremy, you're half an hour late. Get here now.

[He hangs up and starts to put down the chairs from the tabletops. April enters the Grill.]

April: Uh...Matt?

Matt: Uh, hey, April. We don't open until eleven.

April: Oh, sorry, I wasn't like trying to scare you or stalk you or whatever. I just – I came to ask if you've seen Rebekah.