Chapter 5: Break on through

WICKERY BRIDGE

[Construction workers are restoring the Wickery Bridge, and townspeople are there for the restoration fundraiser. Alaric, Meredith and Damon arrive. Damon looks at Rebekah and Ash who are speaking to Carol Lockwood.]

Damon: Ash and Rebekah are up to something. They've been snooping around in places they shouldn't be.

Alaric: Tell me again, why are we here?

Damon: Ric, the world can't stop just because you're an accidental psycho killer.

Meredith: Do you have any tact whatsoever?

[Carol approaches them.]

Carol: Alaric, I'm glad you're here. Did you bring the sign?

[Alaric is confused.]

Carol: The restored Wickery Bridge sign. The history department promised me you'd have it today.

Alaric: I- I don't have the sign actually it slipped...it slipped my mind. I've been...busy.

Carol: Well, it's not an emergency. We'll just um- unveil it when the bridge is complete.

[Carol leaves.]

Alaric: Get me outta here.

Meredith: My pleasure.

Damon: I'm gonna stick around for a bit.

[Damon is looking at Sage who looks back at him and smiles.]

Alaric: Who is that?

Damon: Blast from the past.

[Damon walks over to Sage. Carol is making a speech.]

Sage: Damon Salvatore, my favourite student.

Damon: Sage, my hottest teacher. What are you doing here?

Sage: I'm just passing through.

Damon: Oh, come on, nobody just passes through Mystic Falls.

[Ash and Rebekah walk up to them.]

Rebekah: Look what the cat dragged in.

Damon: Easy there, Rebekah. You know she use to beat men for sport.

Ash: She always was quite common.

Sage: Rebekah. What a happy surprise. And Ash! Still shacking Klaus I see.

Rebekah: What are you doing here Sage?

Sage: Well, I heard Finn was finally freed from that casket your rageaholic brother Klaus carted him around in.

Rebekah: Mmm, Finn, you just missed him. He left town and didn't tell a soul where he was going.

Sage: He probably went looking for me.

Ash: Or quite possibly he forgot all about you.

Sage: I doubt that.

Ash: No? Cause he didn't seem to mention you. Sorry, you came all this way for nothing. Have a nice life.

[Ash and Rebekah leave.]

Sage: God, I hate that elitist Original bitch.

Damon: [Chuckles] Which one?

Ash [To Rebekah] Ugh, why is that obsessive original-lover bitch back?

WOODS

[Sage and Damon are walking together.]

Damon: Finn, really?

Sage: He's my one true love. He turned me so we could be together forever. Then Klaus daggered him and locked him away and I've been waiting ever since. Please don't tell me that you and Rebekah are friends.