Chapter 11: The Departed

GILBERT RESIDENCE

[Stefan and Matt look towards the front doorway. The front door is wide open, Ash and Elijah are standing in front of Elena.]

Stefan: Elijah.

Elijah: Hello again.

Ash: Shall we get straight to the point, where's my husband?

MYSTIC GRILL

Alaric: I need you to tell me where they're keeping Klaus' body.

Jeremy: I don't know and even if I did, why would I tell you?

Alaric: Elena's association with vampires nearly got her killed again tonight, Jeremy. Does that even register with you?

Jeremy: Of course it does.

Alaric: Well, she can't seem to cut them out of her life, but I can. And with your help, I'll get rid of all of them. Find out where Klaus' body is being hidden, I'll kill him, Ash and all his siblings, and when I die, vampires will no longer exist.

Jeremy: But the only way for you to die is if Elena dies.

Alaric: Then lock me up. Have Bonnie put a spell on me like she did Klaus. Let Elena live a long, healthy human life and when her life is over, mine will be too. [Alaric pulls out the indestructible white oak stake.] This stake is the one weapon on Earth that can kill them. I'm gonna get Klaus either way, Jeremy. Be on the right side of this.

GILBERT RESIDENCE

[Ash, Elijah, Matt, Stefan, and Elena are together in the kitchen.]

Elijah: All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us.

Stefan: And you'll just run?

[Stefan sits next to Elena.]

Elijah: We've done it before. Ash, Klaus and Rebekah spent over a thousand years evading my father. What's another half-century while Elena can live out the rest of her natural life?

Elena: We've finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back.

Ash: [Seething] You know Elena, maybe you should listen to him because if it were up to me, you'd be dead by now.

Elijah: I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours nor even within your children's lifetimes. Perhaps that will finally teach him some manners.

Matt: Why should she trust you? All you've done is screw her over.

Elijah: And for that, I am deeply ashamed. But know this, as Ash said, she could have been dead the instant I walked through that door tonight, so Elena, I leave it to you to decide whether to trust me or not.

[Suddenly, Damon responds. He is on the phone from the road.]

Damon: Not! Hello? Did that concussion give you brain damage?! His lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!

Elijah: Rebekah and Kol will honor the terms. If you return Klaus' body to us, Elena will come to no harm.

Damon: What about Ash? She doesn't seem very happy with this arrangement.

Ash: I'm no-

Elijah: Ash will honor the terms.

[Elena looks at Stefan.]