The cookies

The apartment was warm, lit up by the glow of the fireplace. Cheryl poured a small spoonful of cinnamon into her bowl and hummed along to the sound of the Christmas songs playing. It was only the third day of December, but she had already pulled out her collection of Christmas CDs. She adored Christmas, being able to wear as much red as she could without being judged, gift-giving, spending time with loved ones.. she adored everything about Christmas!

The cookie mixture smelled sweet; the unique scent of spices she'd loved since she was old enough to learn the recipe. Her nana and her used to always bake Christmas treats as soon as it was December.

She cracked an egg into the bowl, whisking the mixture around with a fork. Suddenly, she felt a set of arms wrap around her waist, pulling her close, startling her. She screamed and spun around, nearly impaling her girlfriend in the eye.

"Woah Cher," Toni said, chuckling as she took the fork out of her girlfriends hand and setting it on the table.

"God, TT, you scared me." Cheryl said, exhaling deeply and playfully hitting her girlfriend on the arm. She leaned in to peck her girlfriend on the lips before turning back to the mixture.

"What are you making?" Toni asked as she took a swipe of the batter and licked her finger, "Are these cookies? These taste really good babe!"

She went to take some more, but Cheryl stepped in front of the bowl protectively.

"Nuh uh, you have to wait until I'm finished." Cheryl said shaking her head.

Toni groaned dramatically, looking at her with pleading eyes.

"You could always help me?" she asked, "Then we could get them in the oven and eat them even more quickly."

Toni nodded excitedly. "Ok, what can I do?"

Cheryl laughed at her sudden keenness and pushed a bag of flour towards her.

"You can open this and measure out half a cup."
Toni carelessly cut the packet open, the flour splashing out all over the table.

"TT!"

Toni dabbed her finger into the powder, gently tapping it onto the bridge of Cheryl's nose, causing her to scrunch her face up.

"You're cute when you're baking. And even cuter when you're doing your grumpy face."

Cheryl smiled mischievously as she picked up a handful of flour and tossed it onto Toni's shirt.

"Oh, it's on!" Toni said, picking up another handful and throwing it in Cheryl's hair.

Cheryl chased her around the counter, clutching an egg carton close to her chest. She tossed one towards her, which splattered messily on her shirt.

"Ha!" Cheryl called, ducking quickly under the table, to avoid the chocolate syrup Toni had squirted towards her.

When Cheryl stood back up, Toni aimed a handful of sprinkles at her, which dotted her hair like snowflakes.

They kept at it for a few more minutes, tossing an assortment of food items across the room at each other. Finally, they tired themselves, slumping down together on the sofa. Giggling like children, they leaned onto each other, Cheryls head flopping onto her girlfriends chest. Toni leaned down to kiss her forehead as she wiped a layer of chocolate syrup from Cheryl's cheek. She licked her fingers, smiling as she was met with the sweet flavour.

Cheryl giggled, picking a clump of batter from her girlfriends hair.
"You smell like Christmas cookies TT!" Cheryl giggled.

Suddenly, a flicker of recollection flitted across both of their faces as they remembered..

"The cookies!"