Chapter 7: Divide And Conquer

A sleepless night is what awaited Edward. Thoughts were too loud for the night.

He shifted on his now permanent futon and looked toward Mine's sleeping self.

Edward: I hope she's not too hard on herself.

He sat up and grabbed his notebook, looking through pages before settling on one. His eyes staring at a crossed out name.

Edward: I hope I'm wrong....

As he stared absent-mindedly, a shatter caught his attention. The sound was faint, but Edward was able to pick up on it.

Quickly and quietly leaving the room, Edward went towards the source of the noise.

When he neared the kitchen, the sight of Leone made him realise he had the right room.

She noticed him quickly but just put a finger to her lips to let Edward know he needed to be quiet.

He crept up as quietly as he could and leaned against the on the other side of the kitchen doorway. Listening into the room, Edward heard Akame. She was letting out all her feelings at once to who Edward saw was Tatsumi.

Edward: Looks like she couldn't hold it any longer.

He felt bad for Akame. While she portrayed that cold, stone-faced demeanor most of the time, that didn't mean things like the death of a friend didn't get to her.

Only sobs from Akame were heard for a few seconds before the sound of a thud. Edward and Leone peeked into the room and saw Tatsumi on the ground.

Edward: Did he...

Leone: .....punch himself?

The two exchanged a glance before quitting their glances toward the heartfelt scene. They listened more while Tatsumi knew what he was going to do.

"I promise you, I won't die, and I won't ever make you sad again, Akame. We're gonna make it through to the end, I wanna see the new nation together." Is the pledge that reached Edward and Leone's ears.

Leone gave an approving hum while Edward smirked. He knew he would have to hold Tatsumi to that pledge.

Edward and Leone exchanged one final glance towards each other before heading back to their respective rooms.

In the morning, Tatsumi trained with Akame in swordsmanship while Edward watched from the side, his 'suprise' still wrapped in his arms.

At a glance, Tatsumi was visually improving. Where as before he would have lost in second, now he was able to go blow for blow with Akame for a period of time.

"I got her!" Tatsumi thought as he lifted his wooden sword expecting to finally beat Akame.

Edward: Failed.

Tatsumi: Huh?

As his wooden sword was in the air, Akame delivered a swift strike to his ribs, which, if the sword was real, would have been a fatal blow.

He is sent skidding to the side before he drops down to one knee and holds his now hurt ribs.

"One more round." Tatsumi says as he pants.

Akame: Don't you think you should rest up first?

Edward: Come on, Tatsumi, that's enough for today. Take a break.

Tatsumi: I don't have time for that!

He stands back up and gets back into a sword-ready stance. He charges at Akame while she stands in an unready stance.