Chapter 5: Reborn

The dim light of the park lamp cast an ethereal glow upon the two figures standing in silence. Misaka-10000, her expression conflicted, remained seated on the ground while her identical clone towered above her, a knowing smile playing on her lips.

"Return, what is your response now? Will you seize this opportunity?"

Misaka-10000 gazed at the clone, her mind filled with conflicting thoughts, letting out a sigh, she rose to her feet.

"Why would Misaka agree to something like that? Wouldn't it be easier to accept her fate and die one final time, without pain? Why go through the ordeal of experiencing death over 9999 times? explains Misaka"

"Return, don't lie to yourself, you want this"

"Huh?"

"Return..." The clone circled Misaka-10000, her movements synchronized. "If you truly lacked interest, you would have simply said no and moved on. But here you are, explaining your reasons for refusal, giving me a chance to persuade you. Am I wrong?"

Coming to a stop in front of Misaka-10000, the clone's smile grew, a glint of mischief in her eyes.

Misaka-10000 met her gaze, her mind racing as she tried to formulate a rebuttal.

"Return, a pathetic guy who couldn't meet the expectations of those who believed in him, a pathetic guy who give everything in hand to be as they hope him to be but failed, a pathetic guy who didn't want to face the reality and instead, he come up with some Excuses to give up, such as <wasting time chasing unattainable dreams and dragging his parents down to the abyss with him>."

The clone took a step closer, her eyes gleaming with an intensity that seemed to penetrate Misaka-10000's soul. "Return, you have to pay for what you did, and I am offering you an opportunity, you not just will pay, but you will get paid."

Misaka-10000's heart pounded as the weight of the clone's words sank in. She realized something

"You... You know the real Misaka inside. You know so much, who are you..."

"Return, I am Misaka"

"..."

"Return, so Misaka Ichiman, what is your decision?"

"... Just to be clear, I would have to live their entire lives... every single thing they went through, right? asks misaka"

The clone nodded in affirmation, "Every—single—moment"

"Considering that each clone lived for at least 30 days... it means I would live for over 822 years...concludes misaka"

"Return, that's why it's crucial for you to keep remembering your true self,"

Misaka-10000 hesitated for a moment, contemplating the enormity of the choice before her. taking a deep breath, her resolve solidifying.

As the first rays of dawn illuminated the surroundings, Misaka-10000 fixed her gaze forward.  

"Misaka accept."

"Return, well said," the clone responded, clapping her hands together, "I'll see you again in a few moments, or rather, in 1145 years, 233 days, 25 hours, and 3 minutes from your perspective " 

With those words lingering in the air, everything went dark for Misaka-10000. And she found herself in an empty void, surrounded by nothingness stretching in all directions. Time seemed to freeze as she floated in this state, her existence stripped of any frame of reference.