Chapter 19: New chapter

Whispers and mumbles filled the air along the highways as people's eyes remained fixed on the big ad screen on the skyscraper.

The last vestiges of sunlight had disappeared, leaving free rein to the street lamps and the colossal advertising screens, illuminating the surroundings.

On the screen, the announcement of the city's new Level 5 esper, designated as Number 8, shone brightly.

Everyone had their own opinions as their eyes remained locked on the towering advertisement screen.

But they all shared one common thought: What would happen next as a new Level 5 esper emerged?

And it was an understandable concern. After all, this announcement felt like the birth of a new nuclear weapon.

"Hey, isn't that the same girl on the ad screen?"

"Yeah, you're right. She has the same body build and the white hair too."

"You're a Level 5, right?!"

In a certain spot amidst the crowd, two girls stood out and drew the attention of those around them. They had similar features, with the only differences being their hair color and attire.

One had long, shining white hair and was dressed in a maid uniform, while the other had short brown hair and wore the famous Tokiwadai summer uniform.

"It's just coincidence, misaka is just a level 3 esper, says misaka as she tries to correct the misunderstanding"

Misaka-10000 held her hands up in an attempt to calm the crowd around them, while her sister seemed lost in deep thought.

Despite her efforts to clarify, the people around didn't seem to hear her. They bombarded the clone with their questions, their curiosity, and excitement too overwhelming to be quelled.

It seemed like everything was spiraling out of control until a certain girl snapped and exclaimed in a clear, authoritative voice,

"She's not a Level 5!"

The voice belonged to the rank 3 Level 5 esper, the electromaster Misaka Mikoto.

Electric shocks crackled around her body, causing the crowd to step back involuntarily. Their attention had been so focused on the white-haired girl that they hadn't even noticed what the other girl was wearing – the famous Tokiwadai summer uniform.

That realization made it clear that she was not someone they wanted to mess with.

In a furious gesture, Mikoto grabbed her sister's hand and pulled the clone away, making their way out of the crowd, leaving behind the whispers and murmurs of those who had mistaken the situation.

"S-sis?...SIS!!"

Misaka-10000 tried to call for her sister, but Mikoto seemed to ignore her—or it would be better to say she didn't hear her in the first place.

As she led her through the empty streets, A face filled with a mix of fear and anxiety.

"What is the meaning of this? Why did she have to become one?"

Mikoto mumbled under her breath as she led her sister, the clone, to an unknown destination.

(The original goal behind the whole clone project was to create a Level 5 esper out of the DNA of an already Level 5 one... the project was shut down after they came to the conclusion that it was impossible. But what about the whole situation now?)

She tightened her grip on the clone's hand as they turned a corner in the hallway.

(If they found out, the entire project could be resurrected, and more clones might lose their lives while new ones would be created... No, with this announcement, they surely knew about the whole situation a long time ago.)