Chapter 14: Evolution?

Dust and debris filled the air, while the sound of alarms and distant screams echoed through the streets.

"Widen the restricted area! I repeat, widen the restricted area!"

In the heart of School District 9, chaos reigned as the destructive robot rampaged through the once-bustling streets, leaving a trail of ruins in its wake.

The district's once-vibrant lights had now been replaced by flickering fires and the ominous glow of damaged electrical systems.

"Shit..."

Misaka dodged another attack from the Coffins, Taotie's expanding arms. She landed herself on the glassy surface of the building behind her as she observed the robot a few meters in front.

She watched as the menacing high muzzle velocity cannon charged, aiming directly toward her.

Though she had the time to dodge the attack, instead, she launched herself directly toward the cannon. With a shocked explosion, a cloud of smoke formed in the night sky.

Within the thick smoke, a body tumbled upside down, plummeting toward the solid ground. As she neared impact, an agile twist of her body flipped her upright, and she landed gracefully on her feet.

She was dripping blood all over her body, her once-white hair now closer to red than its original color. Her clothes were all gone, leaving her awkwardly naked.

(That's bad. He knows I can't risk dodging the attacks while the evacuation has not yet taken place. He doesn't care if innocent people get involved.)

Turning around, she saw an Anti-Skill officer trying to protect two girls from the falling debris.

"How much time until the evacuation is complete? Asks Misaka"

"...We're about 80% complete. Right now, we've widened the restricted area to 65% of District 9. The whole process will take 15 minutes."

(Tch, that's too much time. The whole District will fall before that... Why is it taking him so long to take that bastard down?)

While Hishigata ran away with #10046 using Qiong Qi, he used the other two Coffins to buy himself time.

Accelerator ran after him, but the Coffins tried to stop him, and Misaka had to intervene to give him a chance to catch up. However, that took too much time.

She turned towards where the machine should be, and she could see it was heading after Accelerator.

(Oh no, you will not!)

With a crackling electricity field forming around her, the ground beneath her cracked as she jumped towards it.

(Wait, that's just one, where's the other one...!!)

As if to answer her question, the other machine suddenly materialized by her side, with hexagonal honeycomb patterns appearing around it.

In a swift motion, one of its extending hands struck her, sending her hurtling toward a nearby building. The impact created a cloud of dust as she crashed through it.

As the dust settled, Misaka found herself gripping the machine's hand inside the building. Her teeth gritted together as her legs planted firmly on the solid floor, stopping the hand from moving any further.

She stole a quick glance at her surroundings, noticing several computers that were still on but devoid of any personnel. The place had already been evacuated.

Shifting her gaze back towards the coffin, she saw it charging its cannon once again.

Closing her eyes, she tensed her body as the cannon fired a high-energy blast at her. Though she stood at the heart of the blast, it seemed as though the attack had no effect on her.