T h r e e

Chapter 3 : The Day

"So this is how I pronounce š."

I watched a video on how to pronounce the serbian letters correctly while also memorizing each alphabets.

I already know how to write serbian letters and form simple phrases without a guide. I've been learning serbian for almost 5 months now and honestly, I improved a lot but I still need to memorize how each letter sounds like and how to form a simple question and sentence which I can master in a month.

There's only one month left until my father comes back from work and take a fun trip to Serbia. I am so excited to see him and move to a new country and meet new people. I just hope that it'll be different when we move there. No bullies, no problems, no fights. Just peace.

Since my problem in our household is fixed now, I do not need to worry about it anymore. Just my learning experience in my new school. It'll be most likely difficult for me to learn since no one speaks english there so I can't request for a translation if I don't understand a word in serbian. But maybe I could if it's allowed. I am sure the teachers there know how to speak english. Maybe.

I turned off my phone and grabbed the book on the shelf. It was a guide book on how to speak, write and pronounce the language Serbian. I opened it and read the part that I haven't touched yet.

...

While I continue reading the most common sentences and conversations that I can possibly encounter in Serbia, someone knocked on my bedroom door. I transferred my attention to the door.

"Come in."

"Hey sis!" Jen opened the door and ran towards me.

"Oh, do you need something?" She sat on my bed beside me and looked at the book on my lap. "What is that sis?"

I shifted my eyes back to the book I was reading a while ago. "A guide book."

"So you're learning serbian?"

"Yes. Do you want to read it?"
I pat her head and gave the book to her. She took the book and flip the page to the part how to form simple questions in Serbian. "Let's ask questions in Serbian sis! Then you answer in Serbian too!"

I agreed and so she started to ask me a question in Serbian.

"која ти је омиљена боја?"
(What is your favorite color?) I answered. "A/c"(any color)

Jen was also learning serbian too in her own way. I borrowed her phone a few weeks ago and all her friends was Serbian which is very clever of her. She has a fun way to learn something and is to socialize which made her fluent in speaking it. But I also reminded her to not talk to an adult stranger and just some kids that is the same age as her. Good thing she listened to me.

I learned in the quite, hard way. By memorizing and familiarizing the pronounciation and alphabets. It wasn't that hard for me actually since I like to learn that way. It's just the cause of my interest that's why I learn a specific topic fast.

"Woah sis you're really fluent in speaking serbian now! I think we are already ready to go there!"

"Yep, just one more month to go and we can see father again."

She smiled at me and nodded. She knew I missed father very much even though we both knew my mom and him almost got divorced just because of something that is not expected. And father shouted at our mother that time. We were both hiding in my room. We were scared. We thought father was gonna leave us but good thing the problem was fixed. I'll still never forget that.

"I hope mommy and daddy won't fight anymore like last time sis.."

"Yeah.. yeah. I am sure it won't happen again."

...

A few minutes had passed and me and my sister was having a conversation in Serbian. It was really fun. She even asked me how to say a bad word in serbian but I disagreed since it is not allowed for us to say such things.

While we were both talking, mom knocked on our door and asked if she can come in. We both said yes in chorus and laughed afterwards.

Mom entered and greeted us in serbian too. Jen laughed at greeted my mom back in serbian. I smiled. I wish it stays this way forever.

"I'm amazed! You both are already good in speaking serbian huh?"

"Well father is half serbian anyway so maybe that's why we easily learned to speak the language."

"Yes!" My sister agreed. My mom chuckled and patted both our heads gently.

"There's only a month left until we move to Serbia. And I am pretty sure you both are ready now. Just remember to be nice to people especially those who are older than you Y/n and Jen okay?"

"Yep mom!" We both said.

"Good."

After one month...

"Hey mom... When will the plane arrive?" I looked around the airport. People were busy walking to their destination and waiting for their loved ones to arrive.

"Anytime soon dear." My mom brushed my hair to my ear. Jen was sleeping on the chair, her head was resting on mom's shoulder.

"Are you excited to see your father?"

"Of course mom.. I can't wait!" I crossed my arms and sighed. "You're too impatient." My mom chuckled.

"Oh.. when will me move to Serbia again?"

"Next week. Your father said to prepare first. He wants to know if you both already mastered the language."

"Didn't you told him that we already did?"

"He wants proof." My mom laughed. My father doesn't believe that easily. That is why I learned to provide true information and proof to make someone believe me when I say something questionable. I am not lying, it is really helpful for me.

"I see.. Let's see how fluent dad speaks serbian."

"Oh he might humble you." My mom pinched my cheeks softly.

"Is he really that good mom?" I looked at her smiling face. She nodded. I really wanna hear how my father sounds like when he speaks serbian. I am just so interested. It has been a while since I saw him and now I am finally gonna see him again. I wanna see if his beard grew.

A few minutes have passed and finally I heard a sound of a plane landing nearby. I stood up and woke Jen and mom up. "Mom! Jen! Wake up the plane arrived!"

They both groan and slowly opened their eyes. "Come on!!"

...

"DADDY!!" Jen shouted and quickly ran towards dad. My mom chuckled and approached him.

"Hey Robert." My mom called his name jokingly. My father smiled and hugged Jen. "Don't call me that Lyssa." They both laughed and hugged each other. I just watched them from a distance. "Woah... it's dad.. It's really him." I smiled.

My dad approached me after and hugged me really tight. "Man you're all grown up now dear!" I felt his warm embrace. It was really comforting. I hugged him back too, tighter than his. He's still the same.