Chapter 218: Waiting for You

It felt like we were kids again, texting all night about nothing.

I was happy just to have this moment with him, getting to at least pretend like everything was normal. I'm sure as badly as he wanted to, he never once brought up Josh, the engagement, or rather the lack there of, or us.

And I was thankful for it.

Jake: so are you excited for your party tomorrow? It feels like forever since we've gotten to celebrate you. I guess that means you just have to do more lol

I've come to accept that it didn't matter what he said, it would always make me smile.

Jaime: shut up lol
Jaime: but yes I am excited

And I was, but more so just excited to finally feel like I was back home again. As much as I loved the city, I couldn't deny how perfectly I felt like I fit in here. No matter how far I strayed, I know I would always find myself back here again.

Jake: can I ask for a favor?

My heart jumped, wondering if he was finally going to break these invisible rules we had formed during the conversation. Everything was going so well. The last thing I wanted him to do was push it too far.

Jaime: maybe. depends what it is.
Jake: that's fair lol
Jake: well I know you're going to be SO busy tomorrow with everyone else, but I got you something and it would mean a lot to me if we could just have a few minutes alone so I could give it to you.
Jake: in private.

I couldn't help but smile. Him and his gifts. I knew how hard it was for him to talk about whatever he was feeling, but he always managed to show it through his gifts. It didn't matter what they were, I knew I would keep them all forever.

Jaime: oh in private? what, is it dirty?
Jake: oh my god Jaime lol
Jake: no it is not dirty

I tried my best to contain my giddy laughter, knowing that my mom was asleep. But I could tell that he was blushing, the typing bubbles constantly popping up and disappearing. I decided to put him out of his misery.

Jaime: I suppose I can make a few minutes for you <3
Jake: thank you <33 though, I kinda hope we get MORE than a FEW minutes together.
Jaime: how big IS this gift?
Jake: not just because of the gift lol
Jake: because I missed you
Jaime: but you just saw me yesterday lol
Jake: oh my god you're the worst lol well i still miss you, okay? happy?
Jaime: yes <33
Jake: <333

By now my eyes were finally starting to get heavy, having lost track of the time hours ago. I wouldn't be surprised if any minute now, the sun started peeking above the horizon. It was amazing how much time flew talking to him, though part of me wished he could've been here with me instead of next door. And I'm sure if I had brought it up, Mom probably would've turned a blind eye when she heard those extra footsteps sneaking their way up the stairs. But despite that, I knew I still needed time, and I hoped that he could be okay with that.

Jake: I should probably let you get to sleep. don't want you to be too exhausted for tomorrow.
Jaime: I don't mind losing sleep for you lol
Jake: stop it <3
Jaime: why lol
Jake: because. you're gonna get my hopes up.
Jaime: sorry <3
Jake: go to bed <3
Jaime: okay <33
Jake: stop flirting with me!!
Jake: (I'm kidding pls don't)

Sometimes I hated just how cute he could be, making this that much more difficult.

Jaime: I won't. goodnight <3
Jake: goodnight <333