Chapter 248: My Last

This wasn't how I wanted him to find out.

I quickly reached over, grabbing it from his hands.
"It's nothing." I snapped, but I knew he had seen enough. He pushed himself up, holding his stare on me as he reached back over for it.
"Jaime, it's clearly not nothing, it's-"
"Please, this isn't how I wanted it to go." I managed, tears now filling my eyes. He stopped, leaning back against my pillows letting out a deep sigh.

"We.. we can talk about it tonight, I promise. Just.. not like this, okay?" I pleaded. He deserved so much more than this, and I didn't want him thinking it wasn't a big deal to me too. This was a big deal, it was a huge deal, and he deserved that moment more than anyone.

"Are you okay?" He finally asked. I nodded, feeling more tears fill my eyes.
"Y-yeah, I'm fine, I just.. I need you to trust me, okay?" He bit down on his lip, eventually nodding.
"Okay." He said softly, now reaching up, gently caressing my face. I knew just how much this was probably killing him, but he had no idea how much I appreciated him not pushing it any further.

In the end, I knew he wouldn't care either way, but after everything, he deserved the moment that you'd always see in movies, when the guy comes home and the girl is waiting for him, more excited than she's ever been, and I knew when I saw his face, every nerve and doubt would fade away into nothing but exhilaration and joy, because it was finally happening.

We were going to have our own family.

"You should probably go talk to them." I sighed, knowing that nothing was going to happen between us now; I knew that look, and by now his mind was racing a mile a minute, but even still he didn't pry. I hope one day he truly understood how much I appreciated him.

"Yeah." He finally said, pulling me in, kissing my forehead before carefully moving me off of his lap and back onto the bed. He went over, grabbing my shirt before motioning for me to lift up my arms. I did as I was told, holding my stare on him as he pulled it over my head, leaning into a quick kiss before heading towards the door.

"Jake.." I called out. He stopped in the doorway, giving me a questioning look.
"Mhm?"
"Everything's okay. I promise." He eventually nodded, his smile growing.
"Okay."
"I love you."
"I love you more." He said, before shutting the door behind him.

Jake's P.O.V

She gradually moved her hands into my hair, tightly tangling them within. How easy it was to melt through her fingertips when she held me like this, like she really needed me.

All I have ever wanted was to be needed by her.

She then gently began massaging my head, forcing out an involuntary sigh as my grip on her got tighter, my lips carefully gliding up her arm, making their way to her neck.

"You know I don't need much convincing." I giggled, finally leaning into a passionate kiss, my heart jumping at the feeling of her lips curling into a smile. She kissed me back harder as she climbed over me, pressing her weight onto me. My heart jumped as another moan escaped from my mouth, knowing that only she has ever had this effect on me. I moved my hands down to her waist, carefully grabbing the bottom of her shirt, pulling it over her head.

She was so beautiful, and how lucky I was to call her mine.

"I don't think I've seen you like this since our wedding." I joked, staring up at her in a lovestruck gaze. I had never really considered the possibility of getting married. Not until that night. Not until I saw her, and suddenly all I could picture was her one day walking down the aisle towards me in that white dress, radiating such light like the blinding Sun that she was.

"That wasn't our wedding." She sighed, playfully rolling her eyes.
"Well, you could've fooled me with the way you were on me." I laughed, feeling my cheeks burn. I remembered every second of that night, and replayed it over and over in my mind, way more than I would ever admit.

It couldn't have gone any more perfect; I was partly angry with myself, having now experienced that, wishing that I had just waited for her, but I guess part of me was scared that that day would never come. But even still. It didn't matter that she wasn't my first.

All that mattered was that she was going to be my last.

"Jake!" She laughed, playfully hitting me. I reached up, pulling her back into a passionate kiss, now feeling like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Even just the thought of getting to be with her like that again..

She slowly moved her hands down my chest, now stopping at my pants, unbuttoning them as I quickly reached around her end table, frantically looking for her radio, hating the idea of anyone else hearing what was only meant for her, the effect she had on me and how much I couldn't control it once she took over.

But then I felt something else, grabbing it and holding it up to my face. It took me a minute to realize what it was, but then my body went cold, all of the air deflating from my lungs.

It was a pregnancy test.
And there were two lines.

"Jaime?" I finally managed. "What's this?" She looked back up at me and in an instant I saw the color drain from her face as she quickly snatched it out of my hands.

"It's nothing." She snapped, trying her best to hide it from me. But I knew what I had seen. I pushed myself up, reaching back over for it. There were two lines. Everyone knew that two lines meant positive.

That was a positive pregnancy test.
She was pregnant.

"Jaime, clearly it's not nothing, it's-"
"Please, this isn't how I wanted it to go." She muttered, tears now filling her eyes. My heart sunk. What did she meant how she wanted it to go.

"We.. we can talk about it tonight, I promise. Just.. not like this, okay?" She asked. What was there to talk about? She was pregnant, and she clearly didn't want me to know. Why wouldn't she want me to know?

Unless.. it was Josh's.

This whole time, she was pregnant with his baby and now.. she just wanted to sleep with me one more time before breaking up with me? I felt like I was going to be sick.

"Are you okay?" I managed, my head now spinning. She nodded, more tears filling her eyes. I could barely look at her, just the sight of her crying breaking my heart.
"Y-yeah, I'm fine, I just.. I need you to trust me, okay?" She asked. To trust her? She was pregnant with his baby and she wanted me to trust her?

In what world could this ever work now. All I wanted was a family with her and now.. that was gone. It felt like I had been punched right in the gut, it now taking everything in me to keep the tears from filling my eyes.

"Okay." I said softly, now gently caressing her face, trying my best to memorize every detail, knowing that after today, this would be it. We were so close, everything was finally laid out for us, but the universe had decided that it just wasn't meant to be me.

"You should probably go talk to them." She sighed. I nodded, knowing that nothing was going to happen between us now. I couldn't anyway, not now, not after knowing what I knew.
"Yeah." I said, pulling her in, kissing her forehead before moving her off of my lap and back onto the bed.

I went over, grabbing her shirt, motioning for her to lift up her arms. She did so willingly, holding her stare on me as I pulled it over her head, leaning into a quick kiss before heading towards the door.

"Jake.." She called out. I stopped, hesitating for a moment in the doorway before turning back around, giving her a questioning look.
"Mhm?"
"Everything's okay. I promise." How could she possibly promise that? It was over and I knew it. I eventually nodding, forcing a smile.
"Okay."
"I love you." She said, more tears filling her eyes. I let out a deep sigh, turning away before she could see the tears in mine.
"I love you more." I finally said, before shutting the door behind me.