Chapter 254: To Give You Yours

Later That Night

"It always amazes me how many people come out when he have these things." Jake laughed, wrapping his arm around me. I cuddled closer, looking out at everyone scattered around the backyard.

These truly were my favorite nights; I was finally back home where I belonged, surrounded by the people who had always been there.
"You mean, aside from the free alcohol?" I joked, peeking up at him. He smirked back down at me, rubbing his nose against mine.
"Yes, aside from that."

I assumed once the guys got back home, their mom didn't hesitate to call everyone in the neighborhood to celebrate. And they deserved it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried what would happen with Jake if nothing ever came about with his music, but I was just thankful I never had to find out. This was his time, and I couldn't wait to see him shine.

"So.. are we telling anybody?" He whispered down to me, my heart jumping at the feeling of his fingers gently tracing up and down my spine.
"We can tell them about the engagement, but.. I still need to tell my mom about.. everything else." I said, unable to contain my smile. He nodded, leaning down, kissing the top of my head.

It still didn't feel real, and something told me that it wouldn't until I was holding them in my arms, despite how long I've dreamt about it, it was just one of those things that felt surreal, even just talking about it. But knowing we would be going through this together made me feel that much better, because I knew with him.. we'd be okay.

"Okay." He sighed, now slipping his hand into mine and leading us over toward the drink table. I squeezed it tight, following him closely, wondering just how long I would be able to get away with not drinking. I watched as Jake filled his cup with a concoction of whatever he could get his hands on, followed by two slices of lime. He then grabbed a cup for me, filling it with water, and two more lime wedges, handing it off with a wink. I nodded, taking a sip.

For these few moments, I got a taste of what life was going to be like; us forever attached at the hip, no longer hiding our love behind closed doors like we were ashamed, but finally getting to be in love entirely, not caring who saw.

Well.. maybe one person.

"Have you talked to him yet?" Jake asked, motioning across the yard towards Josh, who was trying his best to stay focused within his conversation, despite his many failed attempts at stealing glances in our direction. I shook my head, taking a sip.
"No, but.. I need to. Preferably before we tell him about anything else." He nodded.
"How did your call go?"
"Everything's all figured out."
"And you're okay with it?" He asked. I nodded.
"I told you, this is my dream."
"Okay, I just.. I never want you to-" I reached up, pulling him into a gentle kiss.

"I promise. I'm okay. This is what I want." He nodded again, giving me a gentle smile.
"Okay." He muttered. "But.. can you talk to him soon?"
"Why?" I laughed. I could see his smile growing out of the corner of my eye.
"Because.. I can only keep my hands to myself for so long." My heart jumped.
"I'll talk to him tonight."

The evening was filled with the usual; the same conversations repeated as Jake made his way around the party, assuring everyone of how excited he was about getting back out on the road again, all the while never once allowing me to leave his side, making sure to maintain a tight grip on my hand the entire time. So much for keeping his hands to himself.

I didn't mind.

After we made our way around to just about everyone, he leaned down close, whispering into my ear.
"I think now is a good time." He said, motioning over towards the picnic table where Josh had stayed with Sam for most of the night, I'm sure the both of them no doubt trying their best to avoid us in any way. I nodded, hesitating for a moment.
"Only if you want to." He added. "I.. I don't mean to push, I just-"
"No, you're right." I sighed, leaning up, gently kissing his cheek. He held his stare on me, I could tell, holding something back.

"Are you okay?" I asked, squeezing his hand again. He bit down on his lip, trying to contain his grin.
"Yeah, I just.. well.. you had this plan and then.. well, then you came back home, and.. well, then we-"
"Jake, I am so happy it's you." I assured him. "I promise." I reached up, pulling him into a passionate kiss. He didn't hesitate to tangle his fingers in my hair, kissing me back harder until his lips eventually curled into their inevitable grin.

Oh, how much I loved being the reason he smiled.

"I love you, and I can't wait to marry you." I whispered, leaning my head against his. He gently caressed my face, his thumb lightly brushing against my cheek.
"I love you, Jaime."

Even still, every time he said my name I could feel my heart skip a beat, and I hoped it always would for the rest of our lives.

"Now.. I'm gonna go talk to him. Are you gonna be okay? Because.. it really should just.. be between me and him, so.. I kinda need you to-"
"I'll be okay, I promise." He sighed, playfully rolling his eyes. I only partly believed him. "But if he tries anything-"
"He's not gonna try anything when I tell him we're engaged." I said. He shrugged, smirking back at me.

"What?" I laughed. He shook his head, leaning into another quick kiss.
"Nothing. I just love the sound of it." I kissed him again, playfully shoving away.
"I'll come find you when I'm done." I said, trying my best to contain my smile, especially considering the conversation I was about to have. He held his stare on me for a moment, his eyes in their usual gaze until he finally forced himself to let go, making his way into the house. I watched until he closed the door behind him, giving me one last peek out the paned glass before I head towards the picnic table.

I could already feel my heart racing, the pounding in my ears tuning out whatever conversation they were having until I was finally close enough for them to stop, peeking up at me with a nervous stare.

"Hey, um.. can we talk?" I asked, turning towards Josh. He shot Sam a look, motioning away, to which Sam let out an exaggerated groan.
"I suppose." He sighed, giving me a subtle smile with questioning eyes, gently brushing his hand against mine. I nodded, assuring him that everything was okay. He nodded back, making his way back to the house.

I sat down across from Josh as he waited for Sam to be out of earshot.
"You two seem to be pretty comfortable." He muttered, avoiding my eyes.
"We need to talk about that." I muttered, feeling my heart beat faster.
"You two are together." He said, it sounding more like a statement than a question. I nodded.
"Josh, I.. there's really.. no other way to say this, but.. well, I mean.. I owe it to him.." I said, now realizing I was rambling. And then his eyes shot down to my left hand, his face dropping.

"You're.. together." He said softly.
"He asked me before." I whispered. He reached out for my hand, inspecting the ring closer.
"Mine was nicer." He said, smirking up at me. I couldn't help but smile.
"It was." I sighed. "But.. this wasn't what I wanted to talk to you about."
"You and Jake are engaged, and that's not what you want to talk about?" He asked. I shook my head, avoiding his eyes again.

"You agreed to go on tour with him."
"It means everything to him." He muttered.
"Thank you." I said. He shrugged, keeping his eyes focused on my hand.
"He couldn't do it without you, you know." I added. He nodded again, this time a smug grin escaping his lips.
"I know." He sighed. "But.. it's his dream, so.."
"And that's why I want to give you yours." I said. He finally looked back up at me with questioning eyes.

"W-what do you mean?" He asked. I held my stare for a moment, remembering all the late nights I had spent, getting lost in this stare, picturing a life together with those eyes staring back at me, now wondering what he thought of when he stared back into mine.

"I mean.. I'm giving the movie to you."