Chapter 234: Wherever She Is

As I made my way downstairs, I could hear quiet talking coming from the kitchen.
"Finally, she's awake!" Mom joked. I turned the corner to see both her and Jake sitting at the kitchen table, coffees in hand with another full mug placed next to him for me.

"I've been awake." I laughed, going over and sitting down.
"So how is he?" She asked. "Have you heard from him today?" I shook my head, avoiding their eyes, wondering if you'd considering texting him in the middle of the night "today."

"No, but.. I told him we'd come early to get him." I said, peeking up at Jake. He nodded, taking a big sip.
"I think that's my cue." He giggled, finishing the rest of his coffee. I reached over, gently placing my hand on his leg, instantly feeling him relax.
"Well, I mean.. we don't have to rush. It's okay."

I couldn't remember the last time we were all together like this when my mom wasn't lying in a hospital bed. It was nice to just have this moment with the three of us. A couple more minutes wouldn't hurt.

"So.." Mom said with a smirk, hiding it behind her mug. "Can I ask what's going on here?" My cheeks burned as I tried my best to contain my smile.
"I wish I knew." Jake laughed, peeking back over at me. I playfully shoved him.
"Are you two.. you know.." She pried, her smile growing.

I've always known how badly she wanted us to be together, despite truly wondering what it was that made her favor Jake over Josh so much. Maybe it was because he reminded her so much of my dad, or maybe she could truly see what I couldn't.

"Well.." I muttered. She nodded, taking another sip.
"Alright, alright. Keeping it casual, okay. I guess that's what the kids are doing these days."
"It's far from casual for me." Jake said. I shot him a look, unable to contain my flustered grin.
"So then what's the hold up?"
"Mom.." I groaned, forcing a smile. She playfully rolled her eyes, taking another sip.

"Oh, Jaime. I just want to see you get married.." She sighed. My whole body felt like it was on fire. Just a few days ago that was something that was in the cards. And I'm sure if Jake had his way, it still would be, on the same timeline, but.. I really just needed a minute to breathe.

She could tell I was becoming overwhelmed.

"I'm just kidding, honey." She said softly. "But he's a great boy." She gave me a wink, saying this like he wasn't sitting right there. He turned to me with a giddy smile.
"You hear that?" He giggled, gently nudging me.
"Yeah, I hear her." I sighed, leaning in, gently kissing his cheek, feeling my face get hot again, seeing her smile grow out of the corner of my eye. I reached over for his arm, holding on tight, leaning my head on his shoulder, only to feel him lean his head on top of mine.

"Thank you for letting me stay last night." He added. She nodded.
"You're welcome. But we're not gonna make a habit of it. I am still a parent you know, and I have to act like it or else the other parents will talk about me." I shook my head, giggling to myself.
"I think they know better."
"I think you're right."

The morning went by in a blur, filling the air with small talk that eventually turned into anything but. Normally, I would have done my best to avoid it, but we had created this safe little world amongst each other here, and it was like nothing was off the table anymore.

"So, Jake, do you want kids one day?" She eventually asked. I felt my stomach drop. He instantly nodded.
"Of course." He said with a smile.
"Mom."
"Oh, Jaime. We're just talking. You two are casual remember? No one said I was talking about with you." She laughed, winking at him. He winked back.
"Mhm.."

"For the longest time I didn't but.. I don't know, I guess.. life happens, and priorities change and.. you really start to see what's important in life and what's not. And when you find the people you want to share these moments with.. well, it really just makes things that much more clear. So.. with the right person, yes. I do." He said, carefully reaching over for my hand, intertwining our fingers. My heart jumped.

"Because you know, I keep telling Jaime that I want to meet my grandkids-"
"This isn't sounding very vague anymore." I laughed, squeezing his hand tighter.
"Alright, you caught me, I guess it's not. I'm sorry, but if I'm ever gonna meet them-"
"You have plenty of time." I muttered, not wanting to even think about the possibility of her not being around long enough to meet my children, if the time ever came.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about it, especially considering how often Josh and I had tried, and yet.. nothing. It hung over me, the idea that this was possibly something I wouldn't be able to give her, after everything she's done for me.

"Hey, if it was up to me-"
"Don't start." I laughed, squeezing his hand tighter again. He stayed quiet, giggling to himself as he leaned over, kissing the top of my head.
"You're gonna be far too busy on the road anyway, won't you?" Mom asked. I peeked up at Jake, wondering how he was going to take this. But he shrugged, maintaining a nonchalant composure.

"You know, if you had asked me a year ago.. I probably would have agreed, but.. after the short time I was on the road, it was just.. so lonely. I wouldn't want to go through that again without my family." He said. She nodded, holding her stare on him.

She understood what he meant.

"Has there been any word on that?" She asked, trying her best not to pry too deeply, unsure of where the line was. He shook his head, staying quiet.
"Well, it'll happen when it's meant to. You're way too talented to be stuck here. I know it'll happen."
"Thank you." He sighed. "I can only hope so. At least Jaime will be getting out of here."

I shrugged at the thought. Sure, I would be filming back in New York again, but I knew when it came down to it, Michigan would always be my home. I could never stray for too long. I wondered if he could say the same.

"I'd go wherever she is, though." He finally said, as if reading my mind.
"Oh, have you two talked about-"
"No." He giggled, peeking back at me. "I just want her to know that."

When he looked at me like that, it was like we were the only two in the room. And for a split second, it really felt like we were, getting lost within this quick daydream of him coming back with me to New York; a silly daydream at that, knowing how ridiculous that would be, him in the city. He was always meant for the open road, and I'd feel guilty caging someone who was always meant to soar.

I snapped out of it as I looked over at the clock, realizing what time it was.
"We should get going." I whispered, leaning in close. He looked over, letting out a deep sigh.
"You're right." He said, grabbing my empty mug along with his, bringing them over to the sink.

"We shouldn't be too long." I called out, grabbing my bag as my mom watched us with a permanent smile from the kitchen table.
"It's okay, take your time." She said. "Tell him I was asking about him." Jake nodded, flashing her a smile as we made our way towards the door.
"Will do." He said. She shot him a look, to which he returned an accepting nod, now making me wonder what they had been talking about before I came downstairs, and if he'd ever tell me.

He lead us down the driveway to his car where he opened the passenger side like always, carefully helping me inside. I sat down, turning back to face him before he could shut it behind me. He stopped, leaning in the doorway, staring down at me with dazed eyes.
"You alright?" He asked. I nodded, biting down on my lip before reaching up for his shirt, pulling him into a long kiss. I instantly felt his hand reach up for me, gently caressing my face as he kissed me back.

"I love you." I sighed, leaning my forehead against his. His smile grew as he pulled me into another kiss.
"That doesn't sound very casual to me." He giggled. I couldn't help but smile.
"You're right." He held his stare on me for a moment, I'm sure wanting to push it further, but accepted it for what it was, knowing that at least it was progress.

He then finally shut the door, making his way around to the driver's side and we were off.