Chapter 226: Relief

This couldn't be happening.
They had to have made a mistake.
Josh was coming right back.
He should have been home by now.

This couldn't be happening.

"Did they say anything else?" I finally asked, somehow managing to find the words. Sam shook his head, keeping his eyes forward as he flew down the street, suddenly making me that much more nervous. I didn't want thing else happening to him too. I reached over, gently grabbing his leg. He let out a deep sigh, peeking over at me. I felt the car start to slow down.

"No. But they didn't say there were any fatalities so.." He said, his voice trailing off. My heart sunk. I hadn't even considered that. I would have never been able to forgive myself.

Now all I could think about now was how hard I fought to keep Jake from getting into the car that night, and how much harder I should have fought to keep Josh from leaving. We had all been drinking. I knew better. He knew better. But I was angry. I was upset. I wasn't thinking straight. I still wasn't thinking straight.

I jumped at the feeling of Sam's hand slowly sliding into mine, tightly intertwining our fingers. I squeezed it tighter, suddenly aware of my now blurry vision, my eyes filling up with tears.
"I'll call everyone once we get there, don't worry." He said softly, gently rubbing the top of my hand with his thumb.
"I should call Jake." I muttered, wiping my eyes. "I just.. I just left and-"
"I can do it if you need me to."
"It's.. it's okay, I'll.. I'll do it." I said, pulling out my phone and pressing call, putting it on speaker. It only rang once before he cheerfully answered.

"Well, hello there. You miss me already?" He asked. "Don't worry, I'll be right down, just getting cleaned up." He giggled. I felt my face get hot, having wished I warned him that someone else could hear him. The happiness in his voice just made this that much harder, knowing that it was all about to go away. But I just couldn't bring myself to speak, more tears filling my eyes.
"Jaime? You there?" He asked, his voice now more concerned. Sam then reached over, taking the phone from my hands.

"Jake, it's me." He said. Jake was quiet for a moment, I'm sure wondering what Sam was doing answering my phone. I could feel the shift in his energy from here.

"Sam?" He finally asked, trying his best to sound unbothered. "What's going on? Are you with-"
"We're on our way to the hospital. Meet us there. Josh was in an accident." Jake was quiet again, and it killed me. I couldn't imagine what he was thinking, all I knew was that I wanted him here with me.
"Are you with Jaime?" He asked.
"Yes, she's with me. She's okay."
"Can she hear me?"
"Yes."
"I'll be right there, Jaime. I love you." And then he hung up.

Sam handed my phone back, staying silent, keeping his eyes forward.
"Sam, I-"
"Are you two together?" He asked, his voice much more stern now. I shook my head.
"No." I muttered.
"But.. you will be." He sighed. I shrugged. Now wasn't the time for this conversation. More tears came to my eyes, my heart starting to beat faster. He peeked over, hearing my heavy breaths.

"Jaime, I know now really isn't the best time but I-"
"Sam, don't." I snapped, feeling my cheeks burn.
"I just.. I know you love him, but-"
"I do love him."
"So then what are you gonna do when we get to the hospital?" He said sternly. I knew what he meant, and I had no idea. I shook my head, my eyes filling with tears again. He sighed, reaching back over for me, tightly squeezing my hand.

"I'm sorry. I'm.. I'm freaking out too. But.. you were going to marry him. So.. there has to be something there, Jaime. That doesn't just go away. And I'd hate to think that.. god forbid-"
"Can we please not talk about this?" I managed, taking a deep breath, turning my attention out the window.
"Okay."