Matthew Fairchild

The issue that has us all wandering is Matthew's sexuality. It is implied that he is either gay or bisexual. He could be a straight guy with a great sense of style. It was Cassandra's refusal that made us all wandering with who he will end up with. CC said that Matthew is in love when the book starts. The choices are limited and the fact that we don't know for certain what gender he prefers is complicating our guesses.

James is his parabatai, so he is probably out of the question. Because if Matthew is gay then he has to deal already with the misconceptions about his sexuality and loving his parabatai is inexcusable. Besides The Dark Artifices is dealing with parabatai falling for each other.
Charles Fairchild is his brother so it's not him for sure. Any other male character: Tomas Lightwood, Christopher Lightwood, Alistair Carstairs, could be his interest but there are no clues to indicate Matthew's interest for either of them.

In Nothing but Shadows Matthew has met all the characters mentioned above and no love interest was implied. Tomas and Christopher are his best friends, along with James, and they all are seen always together as a group. And Alastair was pretty mean to James, and as far as we know his attitude has not improved when Chain of Gold starts. I don't believe that Matthew will develop feelings for someone very mean to his parabatai.

There is going to be a gay pairing in TLH and Matthew is the most rumored to be one of them. He wears the green carnation which symbolizes heterosexuality and is a fan of Oscar Wilde and the aesthetic movement (he loves anything beautiful without it being always proper). All the above hint that he might be gay.

Apart from his love life we are sure that Matthew's life is going to be a mess during TLH due to James' suicidal attempts and problematic behavior. Matthew will try to help him get over his heartbreak. In a snippet Lucie Herondale mentioned that Matthew doesn't like the girl whom James is in love with (aka Grace).

We know that Matthew is not present in Will's deathbed but that could mean anything. Charlotte is there with her grandchildren (which are all redheads and we know for now that Charles has only red hair). James is also there so I don't know why his parabatai isn't with him unless something happened. On the other side he could be there but not be mentioned.

My mind though is playing some games with me. When Cassandra Clare was talking about the mistakes in the family tree she mentioned that some people could be other people, some turned into vampires ect. Well for some reason I think that Matthew or Alastair are going to turn into vampires, I have no hints, just my instinct on this one.

Author's note: I think he's going to be my favourite character. I can guarantee that the S4 will end us (aka James, Matthew, Christopher and Tomas)

Tumblr: findyourherondale