James Herondale

Well James' life is a complete mess in every aspect. His love life and shadowhunter life and of course don't forget for the villain who wants him destroyed aka Tatiana Blackthorn.

He is in love with Grace, yet he marries Cordelia in the first book for some reason. Grace is going to break his heart and he is going to develop a problematic behavior, as we saw in the Midnight Heir. I still can't be certain of who he'll end up with. The family tree says that he marries Cordelia and they have a son named Owen (as Will Owen Herondale).

As a shadowhunter he is still treated as an abomination, with total prejudice and this isn't going to change in the first book (in my opinion). However it is known that James will be one of the people who did great things in his life and had people talk about him even after his death. For example in the shadowhunter academy a professor mentioned that there were great and not so great Herondales. James and Will were great, but Tobias wasn't. Magnus Bane said he was a piece of art (and so was Lucie), but it was never explained if he said it due to their attractiveness or what they accomplished to do in their lives.

I have already speculated about his marriage in Cordelia's chapter. Personally I see him with Cordelia after all and not Grace, but I can't be sure because Cassandra Clare always surprises me with the unexpected turns in her stories.

From all snippets James doesn't seem to be that shy boy from Nothing but Shadows. He nicknamed everyone, he spoke about girls as if he's now used to hanging out with them
"Alas Christopher is far more at home with beakers and test tubes than he is with female company"
And generally he appears to be a lot more comfortable in his own skin than before. Maybe the fact that now he grew up and looks more handsome (and a lot like Will) might gave him more confidence. It could also be Matthew's influence.

During the Midnight Heir Will says: I know my son and he would not behave this way unless he felt he had no other choice. Unless he was trying to achieve a goal, or punishing himself in some way, because he had done something wrong.
Also he makes himself a public display, all drunk and mean. In addition James himself said that he was rather boring before. His behaviour could be a way to attract Grace's attention. Or he could be doing it because he thinks that since his love interest doesn't want him, there is no meaning for him to live.

Cassandra Clare based TLH on Great Expectations (loosely not entirely a retelling). James is like Pip. He loves with such an intensity that it doesn't matter to whom his love is addressed. He knows that Estella, or in this case Grace, is imperfect but he loves her still. Pip/James is quite a melancholic character. During the Midnight Heir James tries to commit suicide and was save in the last minute by Magnus Bane.

Author's note: Sorry for the delay guys. I'm so happy to finally see some correspondence towards the story. Please vote and comment if you liked the chapter, or if you feel like adding something else.

I respond to each comment.

"The Evil We Love" is out. Who else is as excited to see the Circle as me?

Tumblr: findyourherondale