Anna Lightwood

Anna is a very unique character in the whole shadowhunter chronicles. She is a genderqeer. Has several girlfriends and doesn't have secrets of her own. But aside from the unusual way this character is -unusual for the century she lives and originality of behavior- I have a theory about her.

Cassandra Clare said that the Iron Sisters are expected to be important during TLH. Either because of their ability to forge weapons or because one of the female characters is going to join them. Like the way Silent Brothers were an important part of TID and Jem later joined them.

My theory is that maybe Anna Lightwood will later join them. She will have no children to abandon and as a character she reminds me of an Iron Sister we saw during City of Lost Souls. Sister Cleophas seemed to be informed about the Lightwoods' whereabouts. She also said to Isabelle Lightwood: and as for the necklace you're wearing- and was cut off. We know that she inherited the ruby necklace from Cecily, and she spoke as if she meant to say: that necklace you're wearing belonged to me a long time before.

Cleophas was described as tall with dark hair, similar to Anna Lightwood. She didn't get mad at Isabelle's rude outburst and added that she could be a great Iron Sister if she was interested. And when Isabelle told Sister Cleophas and Sister Dolores that they have no feelings anymore and no family Sister Dolores answered that she used to have a husband and children, while Sister Cleophas stayed silent. And from the family tree Anna doesn't have a family. Also she wasn't present in Will's deathbed.

Note: Just to clarify the theory above is wrong. Cleophas was Luke and Amatis' mother. Sorry everyone.

About her relationship, there is said to be a lesbian pairing during TLH and Anna is possibly one of them. Her love interest could be one of the revealed or unrevealed characters.

Anna is someone who keeps other people's secrets and if you confide in her she would never tell anyone. I imagine her as someone a little more isolated from the main set of protagonists (and indeed she lives in her own flat). She could be like a psychologist that everyone runs to in order to tell her about what bothers them.

Her strength is admired by friends and family, but there is no way that the Clave will let her do her thing. We're talking about homosexuality during 1903-1904, an issue still prejudiced enough during The Mortal Instruments on 2007-2008. We remember Alec Lightwood having to hide his sexuality because the Clave wouldn't be much supportive of him anymore. Cassandra Clare pointed that in The Last Hours we'll see the Clave's opinion over subjects such as homosexuality and Anna will definitely be the target of it.

About her possible relationship with Cordelia Carstairs check out Cordelia's chapter where I already shared my thoughts on it.

Author's note: I'm really curious over Gabriel's reaction to his daughter's sexuality. I suspect he will be supportive during TLH but an earlier flashback would be priceless. And yes I STILL HAVE A CRUSH ON GABRIEL LIGHTWOOD IS THERE A PROBLEM?!

Next chapter will be Charles Fairchild.

Anyway, if you liked this chapter please vote for it. Feel free to comment your thoughts and views on the comments. I'll respond to each comment.

Tumblr: findyourherondale