Charles Fairchild

Charles Fairchild wants to be the next Consul. He is said to wander wound and acting superior (by Matthew Fairchild, his brother). Is best friends with Alastair Carstairs. He is engaged to some Daphne during Chain of Gold.

He is not really close to his brother, as Charles is a rulemaker alas Matthew is a rulebreaker. Also Matthew feels kind of abandoned in the issue with their fathet as Charles doesn't always try to take care of him and Matthew is the only one who protects him.

What interested me was the description in his flower card. Concealed love. Could it be that he is in love with someone else rather than his fiancee? At first I thought that he could be in the gay pairing alongside Alastair. But now Matthew seems more likely to be gay instead of Charles. This could also mean that Charles actually cares deeply about his family, but doesn't always express it like they expect them to.

Him being friends with Alastair could affect his attitude towards specific issues such as James and Lucie's heritage, but not in a very dramatic way as he usually visited the Herondales when little. I believe that if he learns about Matthew's sexuality (if he is homosexual after all) that this could also create a fine line between the brothers.

Yet I don't think that Charles or even Alastair are going to be mean characters until the end of TLH. They could be just like the Lightwood brothers, or like Will at the beginning but they will develop as the series unfold.

Also in the picture where almost all characters are portrayed (it's in the multimedia bar in the prologue) he is seen to be arguing with Alastair for something. At the beginning I thought it could be that they were together but one of them didn't want to make it official. Now that theory seems more unlikely so I can't guess why they're fighting.

The most used sentence to describe Charles (in all CC's comments) is: wants to be the next Consul. This factor isn't going to affect the whole major plotline, in my mind, but it's a minor issue, like Charlotte and Henry's leadership of the London Institute. Yet I'm not sure if he's going to aspire the same loyalty as his mother did.

Some people say that because his flower card said "Consealed Love" and he was released alongside Lucie's flower card, that he may develop feelings for her. I really can't see that happening. The age gap alone is huge and generally those two just don't match, at all.

Author's Note: Hi! If you liked the chapter please vote for it. Let me know your thoughts and views on the comments, I'll respond to each comment.

Short chapter this one, I know but there aren't much to talk about Charles.

Next chapter: Christopher Lightwood

Tumblr: findyourherondale