Chapter 31 - Escape

Zhou Zishu suddenly felt a gaze on him, as if someone was staring at him specifically. Turning his head around, he met Ye Baiyi's eyes. Ye Baiyi was also standing in the crowd, not too far from him, but not too close either; he didn't gesture, not even greeting him with a single nod, still staring at him without blinking at all. His expression was calm, like it had been when he had told Zhou Zishu "You're going to die soon."

You're going to die soon, you've been a tortoise that only knows how to shrink its head in the face of danger -- Zhou Zishu murmured it to himself quietly in his heart, thinking, what's the big deal about this? At this stage, what did he have to worry about paving the road ahead for future plans, or about plotting? If a person had never acted rashly at least once in his life, wasn't he then too repressed, too pitiable?

He suddenly discovered that his own dream was, all along, to be a bastard[1] who stuck his neck out and didn't hide under his shell.

The endlessly-clamouring crowd suddenly heard a light laugh; that laugh of his should not have stood out among the raucous crowd, but by some unknown method, it suppressed all the other voices just like that. Then a thin, unassuming man with a sickly yellow face walked out, and said in a soft voice, "Everyone, what kind of logic is it, to trouble a child so much in public?"

Zhang Chengling's eyes brightened. His mouth moved soundlessly, forming the words, "Shifu."

Cao Weining had spoke highly of Zhou Zishu to Gao Chong, so Gao Chong hesitated for a bit, before calling out his identity, "Brother Zhou."

Gao Chong only found it strange that the man at this moment possessed the aura unique to an expert, and thus should have been unforgettable to himself. Yet, somehow, when Cao Weining had brought them to the Gao Family Manor that day, he surprisingly had not taken note of his person. Even at this moment, he could only recall with great difficulty that his surname was Zhou, and not his name. A chill twinged in Gao Chong's heart.

Zhou Zishu waved at Zhang Chengling, and said, "Come here, tyke."

Zhang Chengling threw himself into his embrace without a word, even more intimate with him than his own biological father.

Feng Xiaofeng screeched, "What are you to him?"

Zhou Zishu hugged Zhang Chengling's shoulders, and tilted his head to take an eyeful of Feng Xiaofeng. Looking at his appearance, he felt very peeved, and so challenged him with a languid air, "Do you not even recognise me, shortie?"

Feng Xiaofeng flew into a rage. This time, without even waiting for him to speak, the Gaoshan slave gave a low roar and charged towards Zhou Zishu. His physique was gigantic; for each step he took, it was as if he troubled the earth to quake thrice with it. Surging towards him like a tsunami, he had a meteor hammer almost as large as a person's head in his hand, intending to pulverise Zhou Zishu into mush.

It was as if he treated every person who dared to insult Feng Xiaofeng as an enemy who had slain his father. The relationship between these two was truly odd.

However, in a flash, Zhou Zishu was already no longer where he had been standing, bringing Zhang Chengling with him along the way. The meteor hammer slammed into the floor, making a crater in the stone slates.

Gao Chong watched with a clinical eye off to the side, and felt that this person's qinggong seemed to have reached a level unsurpassed by any, to be able to reach this sort of speed even while lugging a person around.

Having missed, the Gaoshan slave swept his hammer out horizontally once more in a woosh. Zhou Zishu timed his chance well, tapping the tip of his shoe, once, lightly on the chain, and rose another two feet, then made use of the hammer coming in his direction and added a kick to its head. No one knew how much force was in that kick, but regardless, when they had all finally registered it happening, that meteor hammer had already swung one round, and was heading straight for its master.