Chapter 57: The Gambler

Zhou Zishu thought that his own movements were very light, but the man in the room seemed to have already noticed him a while ago; he raised his head so brazenly, and happened to meet his gaze head on.

Taken aback, Zhou Zishu paused, only to see the man smile at him. It would thus have been impolite of Zhou Zishu to be reticent, so he flipped off the roof, knocked on the window lightly, and announced, "We guests have arrived uninvited. May the master of this house pardon us."

The window was pushed open from within. Inside the room, a man in white inner robes stood, holding a bowl of tea. His gaze roamed over Zhou Zishu's face, and swept over Wen Kexing once. He smiled, then asked in a soft voice, "If these two gentlemen had wanted to watch as well, you could knock on the door and enter. Why the stealthiness?"

His voice was almost insubstantial, especially gentle and soft, as though he feared startling something if he spoke loudly. He was of refined and courteous appearance--with monolids, and a nose that was fleshy at the tip but narrow at the wings[22], he did look very much like a decent person on the surface. Based on his features alone, one really could not tell that he was in fact that Poisonous Scorpion chief who was lacking in eight lifetimes' worth of morals.

Naturally, Zhou Zishu was thick-skinned; upon hearing this, he did not feel the slightest bit uneasy. He said graciously, "Many thanks for your great generosity--but that won't be necessary. Truth be told, we came here to request a matter of you."

This head Scorpion cast a glance at them, and mused, "Most of the people who seek me out come for only two things. Either they come to order my children to commit heinous crimes, or they come to ask who has ordered my children to commit heinous crimes. With your skills and capabilities, I am afraid that you are the latter?"

Zhou Zishu spoke candidly, "Indeed."

The Scorpion set the tea bowl aside. Crossing his arms, he regarded him closely with interest. "What can you give me?"

"Name your price," Zhou Zishu boasted.

Seeing that he was very magnanimous, his demeanour bold as though he was backed by a fat purse, the Scorpion smiled slightly--usually, people like this were usually too full of themselves, and thought that there was nothing in the whole world--heaven and earth included--that they could not accomplish, or could not offer. Either that, or...they had already made their decision to renege on this deal.

State a selling price as outrageous as you wish, but I won't be haggling it with a low buying price--I'll simply not pay up at all.

The Scorpion drawled, "Even if I ask you to spend a night in my bed, you'll agree?"

Zhou Zishu regarded his face fastidiously. His gaze surveyed the Scorpion's waist, flank, and thighs next, then he reluctantly agreed, "Sure."

Wen Kexing, who had been listening with relish to one side, immediately protested. "No way! We've shared a bed for so long, and I've never seen you agree this breezily!"

Zhou Zishu flicked him a look and countered, "Do you have the answers to what I'm about to ask?"

Wen Kexing choked.

On the other hand, the Scorpion laughed and licked his lips, his gaze shuttling fiercely between the two of them. Then, he took out a small jar from his robes, shook it twice, and tipped two dice out from it. Holding them in his palm, he said softly, "How about this? Gamble with me. Win a round on me, and I'll tell you a piece of information. Lose a round to me..."

Wen Kexing whispered to Zhou Zishu, "I finally understand why he's so eager to earn quick money. With this addiction, no matter how great his properties and fortunes, they aren't enough for him to ruin. Haven't you heard of, 'The single-minded pursuit of winning money causes a man's two eyes to burn red, turns his three daily meals tasteless, saps his four limbs of energy, he'll abandon his work, neglect his family, be easily infuriated, borrow money from all around...'[23]"