20. me and my husband (finale)

~me and my husband - mitski~

nine years passed

The cult decided to move to the woods only a bit far outside the house to create their own small community. They're finally happy, and free.

We continue to teach, through what bumps in the road there were, are, and certainly will be.

Shrignolds's face stays still scarred and his leg that but a piece of broken body attached to him, though he wears them both with pride as a reminder to him of what he sacrificed for what he and his friends have now. 

Flying is an ease now with more help from Shrig and the teachers over the years, though I barely  use the ability. I feel no need to stray from the earth when everything I love and need is already there. 

The house seems not crowded anymore. Every teacher had found their space and what to do so that everything now moves in chaotic harmony. 

And although I fall asleep in the arms of my loving husband every night, I can't help but question the very nature of this reality. My memories have begun to not feel at place, like everything before I can here is a blur. Things from the far past have turned into a mystery. And every day I feel more and more as if the line between reality and here is collapsing, if there is one at all.

I still have not told anyone about the long event ago when I met Lesley. She hasn't let me see her again since. I try not to question it, but sometimes I can't help but do so.

Even when I sit beside Shrignold, my heart full and feeling nothing but love, I see his face malformed for just a flash of a second. Nobody realizes it, and I never bring it up. I try to become desensitized to it, but every time I see a glitch or an odd irregularity that I can't explain that is gone in an instant, I can't help but feel...disconnected.

I hold him every day, as well as my tears as I think about what could happen to him. I try to push away the unimaginable...

I know that the day where we all discover the truth is upon us, but for now, I try to appreciate what I have at the fullest. I gaze into Shrignolds's shining eyes and know that there is still hope...

Right?...

thank you.

words: 399