red puddles

I stood up with Toby and followed him. His sudden change in conversation was odd but I figured whatever he was going to show me had to be worth while. He led me put of the room and we started to walk down the hall. He never once looked back to see if I was still there. He kept his eyes ahead of him.

Toby made it to the gym and opened the door. He immediately went over to the storage closet and opened it. The smell of rot spread to my nose, thats definitely not how it smelled last time. "Toby what the hell is in there.." I covered my nose with my sleeve to lessen the stench.

He looked over at me, and put his mouth guard on over rhis nose. "You'll see.." he muttered, walking into the closet. I stepped forward to see all of the equipment covering the floor. Toby took steps in between all of the things, walking further and further back.

I started to feel anxious about what I could see, or what the rotting smell was coming from. Regardless I followed behind Toby. The smell was becoming worse.

Toby stopped in his tracks and looked at the ground. My vision followed and I saw what he was seeing. A trail of smeared blood lead to the back of the closet. "Well t-that wasn't here before.." Toby muttered, walking to the side to not touch the red smear. My stomach sank, "Before..? What do you mean? Have you been in here before?" I questioned him, also walking to the side.

"W-when you were asleep I-I got c-curious.." He said quietly, making his way to the back of the room. I made sure to stay close, just in case. Toby twitched as he made it to the back and I found the source of the smear. A puddle of blood glistened on the ground. And the smell was the worst back here.

"Toby what is this...?" I asked, squeezing my nose. He looked at me then to the puddle of blood, "I-I should be asking you that..." Toby said slowly, kneeling down to the puddle. I shook my head and looked at him with a serious expression, "Toby if this is some sort of joke-" I started. "Am I laughing?" He interrupted, staring directly into my eyes before twitching again.

I went silent, not because of Toby, but because I knew how that puddle got there. But there was no way... No way in hell that that dream was real. Even though it was more of a hellish nightmare. A possible coincidence maybe? Because if it was real then Toby would have known and he wouldn't be nagging me about it, right?

My head spun with intruding thoughts as I stared at the decaying blood on the floor. "I was wondering w-why you wanted to go in here so b-badly earlier.." He said standing up, towering over me, "You wanted to see the mess you made".

My gaze darted over to him, "No- No! This isn't my fault! And that's not the reason I wanted to come in here..." I snapped defensively. He was blaming me for this? But I didn't do it. That was just a dream.

"Then why'd ya w-want to come in h-here earlier..?" Toby stepped closer to me. I backed up, "Because I wanted to see.. what was in here.." I spoke quietly, my brain searching for an excuse. Toby shook his head, "I-Im starting to think you're lying to me y/n..." he stepped closer. His voice seemed loud like thunder, as if he was talking through a fan.

"You.. made me.. do it.." I choked out as I was backed into a wall. He stared down at me, his pupils so large that it looked like he had no irises. "Made you do w-what?" He asked, now being so close that our feet were almost touching. Toby's gaze never left, he stared directly at me in full concentration.

"You made me kill him-" I said through gritted teeth, he was starting to make me nervous because of how close he was getting. Despite my discomfort he stayed less than a foot away, "And y-you didn't try to stop it...?" He asked blankly. "I did try, but you kept-" I spoke before being cut off by Toby again. "Don't p-put the blame on m-me... I'm not t-the one controlling your little d-dreams" Toby interrupted, pulling his mouth guard down.