💜 Chapter 13 💜

In the recent fiasco with the strange cat named Anpu, Kusuo had noticed something very strange about his own beautiful Nadeshiko. He had noticed a very peculiar look that she had given him when he had scolded the cat for his behaviour that day. It had been a look of such a curious expression that Kusuo had never seen on her face before – it was a strange amalgamation of envy, desire and defeat. He had no idea what it meant yet he was burning to ask her, and at the same time...

How shall I get to the worries of my love's heart?

Kusuo could handle anything in the world – no matter what sort of twist the world wanted to send his way. But the one thing that he could not handle in any accord was the idea of his beautiful future wife being afflicted with any worry in life. He did not understand what had prompted this in Nadeshiko, but he could not stand any of her desires being unmet, or her experiencing envy or defeat.

Yet Kusuo had no clue how he was supposed to get to the root of the situation. He could not read her mind or her feelings regardless of how much that he wanted to do so. He needed to approach her in a way or have her confide in him – it was always her who had reached out to help her. He wanted to be a hero in her eyes.

That night, Nadeshiko had stayed for dinner at their home, and just as expected of her, she had gotten along with both of his parents. That was saying a lot, given that they were both strange creatures. His father narrated strange stories, and before his mother could even think of bringing out baby pictures, Kusuo had directed attention to how Nadeshiko enjoyed cooking as well.

"I'm glad you enjoyed my cooking!" Kurumi said as Nadeshiko imparted her compliments to the elder woman once more. "I am truly looking forward to having the opportunity to try your food –your desserts quite delicious! Ku-Chan refuses to share any of your coffee jelly!"

Upon these words, Nadeshiko had looked at Kusuo and he had noted that her pretty pink lips were supporting a pleased smile in his direction. It made him feel a warm rush in his chest, as if there was something between the two of them that was unique and exclusive to only the pair of them.

I want to marry her.

Since that night at his home, Kusuo had not gotten the chance to invite Nadeshiko over at his home. Life was going fairly normal – they met up in the morning to head off to school together, they spent their lessons together and had their school lunch together, and then Kusuo would linger around to wait for Nadeshiko to finish up with her club activities before they would head out together. He would always make that walk last one way or another.

"I got them," Kusuo said as he brought over hot Yaki-Imo to Nadeshiko, "Let me open it for you," He handed her his baked sweet potato before carefully peeling open hers for her. He had picked out the fattest one for her, and he didn't care if it stung his fingers as he opened it. "Here you go,"

Every day, especially since the winters arrived, Kusuo would suggest that he and Nadeshiko stopped to have something before they headed home. Some days, they would have desserts that could only wish to be as sweet as Nadeshiko, and other days, they would have something savoury. He was quite surprised to learn that she enjoyed Ikayaki a lot.

They would have a variety of tasty streetside food on their way back. When they didn't want to stand around in the busy streets, they would get on-the-go food but if they found a good spot to sit down, they would order Okonomiyaki or Yakisoba. Kusuo loved such pockets of time when it was just him and Nadeshiko, having light chatter and delicious food together.

"Oh, the Kushikatsu was so delicious," gushed Nadeshiko as they walked together after a rather filling snacking together. "I have had Kushikatsu before in Nagoya, but they completely coat it in a thick sauce. That was delicious but I love the ones here in Tokyo,"