Denial Seemed Easier

[About a month ago...]

Freddy beat on the door of an old security office. "Vanny! Leave him alone!"

Earlier that morning, Gregory had decided to leave the PizzaPlex. But when Freddy picked up the Fazwatch's signal back in the mall a few hours later, he immediately felt that something was very wrong. His assumption proved true, discovering Vanny had captured Gregory and dragged him, unconscious and bleeding, into a dilapidated building buried beneath the mall. There, she'd locked herself and Gregory into a security office with a single recharge tube that glowed a hateful purple.

The white rabbit waved through the window and giggled, "Oh, Freddy. Didn't anyone ever teach you to share your toys?"

"He is a child, Vanny, please! Do not hurt him!"

"Freddy!" Gregory called from beyond the door.

"Gregory!" Freddy called back, abandoning the door in favor of trying to break the window. He raked his claws across the plexiglass, but could only gouge scratches.

Vanny cooed at Gregory, "Little bunny, where are you going?"

Gregory danced around her and reached for the button on the door, but nothing happened. "Freddy! The door won't work!"

"Of course not!" Vanny laughed, swiping her knife at the boy, "He won't let you escape so easily this time!"

Gregory pounded on the other side of the window, looking up at his robot friend, "Freddy, help me!"

Freddy pulled back and slammed his fist into the window. A crack appeared. Bolstered, he struck again.

"There's nowhere to run, little bunny."

"Leave me alone, you crazy lady!"

Freddy punched again, cracking the glass further.

"Oh but I'm not the one who wants you," said Vanny, "it's all him, the one who always returns no matter how hard brats like you try to send him back to Hell."

"You're crazy!"

"Just hold still. You want to meet my shiny little friend here, don't you?"

"Let me go-!"

Freddy flinched as Gregory slammed into the window and fell to the floor. Vanny loomed over him as he tried to regain his feet.

Freddy punched the weakening glass. He was so close!

Vanny plucked the boy up by one arm and pinned him to the wall. "Game over, little bunny." Her knife sank into Gregory's chest.

Freddy's fist broke through the glass. The momentum took his claws straight to Vanny's head. He gripped the mask and the head inside it, throwing Vanny across the room and into the wall. Plaster cracked where she hit.

Freddy didn't watch her land, scooping Gregory off the floor and holding him close while he escaped out the window again.

The door opened on its own.

A subsonic growl froze Freddy where he stood. A violet light shone from behind him, casting his shadow in its ugly shade. The light twisted itself into the blurred shape of a person that loomed behind him with its hands lifted.

Then, a feeling Freddy could only describe as pain erupted through his body. He dropped to one knee, failing to hold back a groan.

Gregory looked up at him through half-lidded eyes. "F-Freddy...?"

"I... I am fine, Gregory. And you are, too. Do not worry. I will keep you safe."

Gregory coughed up blood.