Chapter 22

"Is Her Highness actually here, or is that something that the king has said to keep you off his back, Your Highness?" someone asked, and I had a feeling that it was one of the cooks that had asked the question.

I stopped where I was still hidden and had Xavier wait too while I waited for my aunt's response. I had seen her when I had arrived but hadn't been able to talk to her because my uncle decided to be a pain in the ass.

"She is here," my aunt confirmed while there was a clatter of dishes. "Her uncle is being a pain in the ass, however, and I am surprised that she actually listened to him and stayed near him."

"Did the king ask her not to start a fight?" the same cook asked.

"Doesn't he always?" my aunt asked with a slight chuckle in her voice. "However, I am sure that my brother will let her defend herself if it gets too bad."

The cook hummed and nodded. "Then for their sake, I hope they don't push her too badly. If they did, then I am sure that something bad will happen to them."

My aunt chuckled, and I had a feeling that she nodded. "However, she can't do much to them, especially since they are innocent."

"But she can do something, correct?"

There was a bit of clattering and then there was this sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies that wafted through the air, and my mouth started to water.

'Are they chocolate chips?' I asked, my mouth watering at the smell of the cookies.

'Yes,' Commander confirmed, and I had to bite my lip to keep myself from moaning and ruining my plan of getting them. 'Careful, they are going to be hot.'

'I know,' I said and signalled for Xavier to stay there while I inched myself from my hiding spot and to the place where she put them. 'They are always hot.' I paused and narrowed my eyes while I scowled. 'Are there any crabs nearby?' I asked, and they snickered.

'No, you are clear,' Commander said. 'There are no crabs.'

I placed myself on the other side of the counter and waited for the right opportunity to strike and get my cookies.

"Hmph," she said before she sighed and cleared her throat. "Should I put some crabs on the table?" she asked, and the cook chuckled. "I believe my niece will try to "steal" some of these cookies."

"I don't believe that it would be necessary, Your Highness," she said while she chuckled some more. "You have made enough for her so that she can steal them."

I held back an eye roll and bit back a smirk while I took a few cookies before I bit my lip because they were hot just like Commander said.

'Hot, hot, hot,' I said through the link and was met with hoots of laughter while I bit my lip tighter. 'They're hot.'

'Of course, they are,' Commander said, amused. 'They were just put onto a cooling rack. You know this, Cassandra.'

I didn't respond and bit my lip harder to keep myself from making a sound.

"I threatened her that I would do t-" She stopped talking when she noticed that there were in fact a few cookies missing. She sighed and shook her head. "The cookie thief struck again," she said sarcastically, and my group snickered. "Where are you, Cassandra?"

I didn't respond and stayed silent.

"Can you smell her?" she asked when I didn't respond. She took a deep, mocking breath to try and pick up my scent, but I had made sure that both Xavier and I were "safe" and couldn't be smelt nor heard.

"No, Your Highness," the cook said, amused. "Nor can I hear her."

"Hmph," Aunt Heidie said. She started to go back to what she was doing before I stole a few cookies, but I knew that she was watching the cookies closely to make sure that I didn't steal anymore.

"Do you think the Guardsmen are helping her, Your Highness?" the cook asked.

My aunt scoffed a laugh, and I had a feeling that she rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't be surprised if they are," she said. "They care about her a lot, especially Charlie."

"I am going to have to agree with that," the cook said with a chuckle. "However, I want to say that they all care about her a lot and will make sure that she stays safe."

My aunt chuckled and nodded. "I know," she said. "However, Charlie seems to be that way more often than not. I swear to Goddess there are times when he either acts like her best friend, sibling, partner, or father, and then there are times when he acts like all four in one batch."

The cook chuckled again and nodded. "Yes, yes he does," she said. She cleared her throat and grew serious. "How long do you think that she will be here?" she asked, changing the subject.

The air in the room grew darker, and I had a feeling that this cook would rather have me at the palace than at the pack, something that I would like to do as well.

Aunt Heidi sighed, and I had a feeling that she shook her head. "Not long," she said, and my heart broke. She cleared her throat. "However, that doesn't mean she can not get into trouble or lead someone to trouble."

(03/06/2023)

The cook chuckled and nodded. "I know," she said. "I hope that she will be able to stay for a while, maybe for a weekend or longer. The twins will be happy if she does stay or is allowed to stay longer than she has been."

My heart grew warm, and I bit back a small smile because I would have been happy to stay longer than what was planned for me.

I didn't want to go at all...

"I hope so too, but we'll have to convince her uncle to let her." She sighed before she shook her head and cleared her throat. "Possibly even both."

I waited a little bit before I grabbed some more cookies, making sure that she wasn't aware.

'That's enough,' Commander said. 'Get back to Xavier. He's getting anxious.'

I held back an eye roll and scowled. 'Fine,' I grumbled, 'but I am going to grab the cookie platter first.'

'Make it quick.'

I held back another eye roll, and my scowl deepened.

'That's not quick,' Sergio teased before I rolled my eyes again.

'Shut up,' I said with a small singsong in my voice, and my group snickered, 'before I cut off your dick.'

"Oh look, more cookies are missing," Aunt Hedi said with a sarcastic sigh when she turned around. "Where are you, Cass? I know that you are here."

I didn't respond and took a deep breath while I waited for her to turn around again.

'Cassandra,' Commander warned. 'Go ahead and get them even if she is watching.'

I grumbled before I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Come on, Cassie Dear," my aunt said in a singsong voice. "The quicker you get this done, the quicker y-"

I didn't let her finish and reached for the platter of cookies in front of her, revealing myself again.

"Cassandra Marie!" she exclaimed and reached to grab me, but I was faster and able to grab the platter and started to run away from her. "Get back here!" she exclaimed and "started to chase me." "What do you think you are doing?"

"Stealing cookies," I replied while I ran away from her as the cook chuckled, amused. "What else would I be doing?"

My aunt huffed mockingly before she stopped trying to chase me. She rolled her eyes but grinned a little. "Will I see you at dinner?" she asked.

"Yes," I said, "and I will be bringing a guest."

"Oooh, well. Enjoy. Don't eat too much. I'll bug you about the guest later. Just no babies! I'm not ready to be a great-aunt yet, but I do want them in the future with whoever you choose!"

I didn't respond while I entered the secret passageway, my cheeks turning red.

Oh, Goddess, I thought, my cheeks turning redder at the thought of having someone's babies. Save me.