Chapter 8

Xavier gave me a weird look but didn't say a word. He looked forward and then at me, his eyes filled with concern and worry. "Y-"

"I know," I said, spying the end of the log and interrupting him. I hitched my skirt over my knees and picked up my pace, my feet stable against the wooden road.

"Cass!" Xavier exclaimed and ran after me. Panic filled his voice, and it took all of my self-control not to bust out laughing. "What are you doing? Slow down!"

"No!" I exclaimed and picked up my pace. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and I kept my gaze on the end of the path. My whole body was filled with an unknown excitement, a thirst to perform for someone new and show them something that my group knew and encouraged me every time.

I was a performer, someone that loved the spotlight and "enchanting" people with my abilities. I loved singing, doing tricks, and dancing, and if I wasn't a Werewolf nor part of the Guardsmen, then I could see myself on Broadway or joining the circus and just perform for people and take their minds off of whatever they're going through, even if it was for a little while.

I took a deep breath and calmed my nerves before I released my breath and my skirt. I took another deep breath and released it before I gathered myself and jumped, doing a front handspring.

My dress went over my head, but I didn't care because I had made sure to wear Guardsmen pants under the dress, knowing that I would have snuck out from the party to visit my group at some point during the trip.

As soon as my feet touched the log again, I did a round-off back handspring followed by a couple of more back handsprings, mentally counting down how much room I had left.

When I reached the end, I took a deep breath and let it out before I shoved my feet into the log, pushed myself upward and off the log, and did a double layout full in, full out. I landed on my feet and almost twisted my ankle but caught myself and struck a pose.

Xavier was still half way away from the end of the log and had stopped to stare. His eyes were wide, and his mouth was agape. Shock filled his eyes, and I had a feeling that he didn't expect me to do that.

"What?" I asked and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head, feeling self-conscious. "What is it?"

Xavier closed his mouth and opened it, but no sound escaped. Again, he closed his mouth and cleared his throat. "That was..." He closed his mouth again.

I furrowed my brows further and frowned. "Was what?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "Bad? Horrible? Disgusting?"

"Stunning," Xavier replied instead. "That was absolutely stunning."

I looked down and cleared my throat. "Oh," I said and cleared my throat again. A blush formed on my face, and I didn't meet his gaze while I played with the end of my hair. "Thanks, I guess," I said.

Xavier nodded and stayed silent. He walked over to me and stopped in front of me. His piercing blue eyes seemed to pierce my soul while he studied me, trying to find the secrets that I held.

I cleared my throat again, feeling uncomfortable, and turned on my heels, wanting to get away from his piercing gaze. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and I was super aware that he was there, by my side, and matching my stride even though he had longer legs.

"So..." he began but trailed off. He cleared his throat and moved a hand through his hair. "Where did you learn that?"

"Here and there," I replied and shrugged. "My mom wanted me to dance and do gymnastics when I was younger, so my dad put me in some classes. I think that I started dancing before I could even walk, or that was what my dad used to tell me."

Xavier stayed silent and nodded.

"My dad wanted me fighting, too, so I learned how to fight at a young age." I shook my head and smiled, my heart aching for my parents. "My first toy was a pair of nunchucks."

"Really?" Xavier asked and looked at me, shocked, and I laughed and shook my head, no.

"No," I replied. "It was a stuffed bunny. His name is Mr. Whiskers." I smiled and shook my head again. "I am so glad that he can't talk because he knows all of my secrets and what not."

"Does he go everywhere with you?" Xavier asked.

"..." I looked away from him, and my cheeks turned red.

Busted.

"Cass?" Xavier pressed. There was a small bit of amusement in his voice while he looked at me, and I didn't meet his gaze because my face turned redder.

"Ummm... well..." I pulled on a string that kept my pouch hidden and reached inside, ignoring Xavier's wide eyes because it was normal for me to have this pouch. "This is Mr. Whiskers," I said and pulled out a stuffed bunny that had one eye missing. "To answer your question, yes, he goes everywhere with me if I can take him." I handed him over to Xavier.

"He's missing an eye," Xavier commented while he studied the white bunny with long floppy ears.

"I know," I said and shrugged. "He's always had the eye missing, but I like him that way. It makes him unique."

"Why do you have him with you?" Xavier asked and handed him over to me. He didn't sound accusing or anything, and I had a feeling that he was curious, especially since I was a seventeen-year-old female who should be looking for her mate instead of sleeping with a stuffed animal.

"Because he is my companion and my sleeping buddy," I replied and placed him back into his pouch. "I was going to sneak away from the party before everything had happened and was going to sleep here."

"And you needed him to sleep?" he asked, and I nodded.

"I have troubles sleeping sometimes," I admitted. "Sometimes having Mr. Whiskers help me sleep. Other times, it's being driven around in a car. That always knocks me out, and Mr. Whiskers is a good cuddle buddy while I sleep."

"What if someone wants to talk to you?" Xavier asked. "Do you fall asleep then?"

I nodded. "If there are any conversations that I need to be a part of in a car, then I have to be the one driving. If not, then don't try to wake me up because I won't wake up, and there are consequences."

"But you just turned seventeen," Xavier pointed out. "Are you saying that you have been driving for years?"

"Yes," I said and nodded. I gave him a weird look. "Don't sound so shocked, Xavier," I said. "I am a Guardsmen, and I have stuff that helps me appear older than I am or information that will get people off my ass if I get caught driving."

"Like..?"

"My coin? It gets me out of sticky situations and lets someone know that I have "important" business that I need to get to." I paused and shrugged. "Most of the time, there is a Supernatural Creature, and they know our business."

Xavier stayed silent and nodded. He seemed satisfied with my answer, but I had a small feeling that he wanted to know more about my time as a Guardsmen. However, he wasn't going to ask.

For whatever reason, he wasn't going to ask, and I had no idea why.

Hopefully, one day, he'd get the confidence to ask his questions because I wouldn't mind telling him. I wouldn't mind telling him at all.