Piece 2

As I walk into the school gate, I sigh. I don't miss school but it gives me something to do, unlike summer break. I didn't do anything over that time.  I hang out with the loser type so there were no plans, besides talking about doing something that we never did end up doing. 

       I'm 15 years old, and my hair is a little bit longer than last year, which used to be down to my shoulders. I'm wearing a long black skirt with a black cropped tank top. My shoes are platformed combat boots and my hair is being held up by a claw clip and I can smell the sunscreen on my skin. It's hot here during this time in California, even in the morning the sun is beating on you. 

        I arrived quite early so I could see where all my classes were. As I'm strolling through the buildings looking for class D233 (building D, on the second floor and the thirty-third class), which would be my chemistry class, I see my friend, Noah, looking for his class too. He has on a very colorful first-day outfit which makes him look like a clown (it's literally a clown outfit). 

      "Noah!" I yell, to catch his attention. He turns in my direction and I wave a hand high to greet him. 

        "Hey, Winter!" He yells back.

        "I'll see you at lunch!" I say, smiling. I missed him, he's really funny. 

        "Alright, bye Winter!" He says and I walk away, looking for my other classes. 

       At lunch, I sit alone waiting for everyone to arrive. I pull out a book along with my lunch seeing as it takes everyone a while to get to our spot. We sit in a hallway in a circle on the floor. All the benches are either in the hot sun or used by other groups, so we just sit on the hallway floor. 

        I lean against the hard wall, reading my book, waiting for everyone to get here. The wall feels sharp and I miss sitting at a table to eat. But, regardless of that, I actually missed the school's shitty food. I got what I always get which is the cheeseburger and the cheese that's never on the burger properly. 

      After a few minutes, I see my friends Noah and Dally, a nickname for Dallas, walking in my direction and talking. 

      "Winter!" Dally says excitingly. I stand up as they wrap their arms around me in a hug. I smile and join in a group hug, my friends make me happy. 

      "How were your guys' break?" I say, starting up a conversation as everyone sits down. 

      "It wasn't bad, boring. Although my family traveled a lot." Noah says. 

      "Traveling is fun." I tried to say it in a happy tone. I'm close to these two people but I don't know what to say. "How about you, Dally?" 

      "Well other friends and I did some stuff here and there but still not much. There was no big deal. How about you, Winter?" Dally says and they take a bite out of their food. 

      "Same old, same old. Did things I didn't want to do like-" Noah interrupts me, saying,

      "Like what, going in the sun? Getting vitamin D? Touching grass?" He says, laughing.

      I'm glaring at him, but we all start laughing with him too. 

      Later on in the lunch break, other friends come by and go, just saying hello. Then the bell rings and we all go our separate ways.

      Getting into my fifth period was nice, I missed the air conditioning. Even though we were sitting in the shade, it was still hot. 

     The teacher has up on the board to sit wherever you'd like and about half of the seats are filled. The seats are set in rows of two, and there's not a single row with no two empty seats. After looking around the room and deciding where to sit, I sit next to this dark-haired girl, Her hair falls just below her shoulders and she has a really bad posture. I set my bag down on the floor at took a seat next to her. 

      "Hi!" I exclaim, waving a hand in her direction. Might as well make a friend seeing as I have no other friends in this class. 

       She smiles slightly and glances at me, she seems shy. 

        "I'm Winter." I smile at her. 

         "I'm Mariá.." She says back, quickly. She seems really shy. 

         "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Mariá." She smiles at me, finally meeting my eyes.