Piece 15

November is here and school is off for a week. Sitting in the sixth period, staring at the clock waiting for it to hit 2:50 p.m. on Friday. The last day of school before break officially starts. This week has dragged on since I've been counting down the days until break. This week has been miserable and filled with anxiety and stress. I'm zoning out when the bell finally rings, my stuff already packed up in my bag. It's the last period of the day so I only bothered to pull out a pencil, which I didn't end up needing.

                I threw my bag onto my shoulders and rushed towards the door, only getting stuck behind a few people who sat closer than I did. I walk to meet up with Maria before leaving home for the day.

                           When I get there, I see her waiting for me at the picnic table we regularly sit at after school.

                           She lifts her head from her phone and smiles at me, "Hi Winter," She says as I sit down in front of her.

                          "Hi Maria," I slightly smile as my eyes feel heavy. "I wanna go to bed."

                          "Already?" She laughs. "Break barely started."

                           "I know but this week has been long enough." Folding my arms together on the table, I lay my head down for relaxation.

                         "It has been a long week, I know you've had a lot of tests." She says and puts a hand in my hair.

                         My shoulders go up and my hands grip my arms tight. "Please don't touch me," I say, quickly.

                        She pulls her hand back quickly, "Shit. Sorry, I forgot." She says. "I miss doing that."

                       "I miss the person you were before I truly knew you."

                       "What?" She asks, sounding stunned.

                       "I wish you didn't do those things." I lift my head and unfold my arms. "But, you can't change what happened so there's no point in dwelling on it." I give her a blank stare. I see the hurt on her face. She doesn't say anything for a minute.

                     "What's that look for? You're looking at me like I did something wrong."

                     "Why did you act like everything was fine the other day?"

                    "It's easy to act like that. I don't feel safe in your presence. Your touch still scares me. Why is that so surprising to you?" I say coldly, trying to show no remorse on my face for spilling the truth.

                     "You're sad."

                    "I feel betrayed, Maria." My fingers feel frozen and I shiver from the cold breeze.

                     "I'm aware of that, that's understandable."

                     "I still don't understand why you did it."

                    "You were continuously thinking about it. I've only told a human once before that I was a vampire. The way I did it with you was impulsive. I don't know why I did that way either."

                    No one says anything for a moment. Maria broke eye contact with me a while ago.

                   "You look like you want to ask me something," I say.