Piece 20 (Sired Maria Part 1)

This piece is from Maria's perspective.

        The pain of my body, my soul being drained of its life is the first thing on my mind. Camila's muffled screams as he was draining her. The way she wouldn't look at me was because it was all happening too fast, the only thought in her mind was that she was dying. The pain. Life flashing behind your eyes.

          My feelings start to fill my head, the painful words he told me before he killed me. The stabbing pain in my neck and the pit of grief in my stomach, the pit that made me want to puke. The way metallic taste of blood started to taste good. As if my body wanted more, needed more.

          When I open my eyes, they're painfully dry and blurry. My mouth is sticky from lack of water. Hands dry and clammy. Face stiff. My ears ringing. I try to move but my body feels so sore, I can hardly move a muscle. I don't say anything, my voice wouldn't sound like mine.

           Apart from all of that, the sheets are soft. I don't feel warm or cold. This body doesn't feel like mine anymore, there's something in my core that makes me feel strong but my body is too weak to use that power.

            I blink a few times to try and see better. It works, but there's nothing I can do about the ringing. It slowly dies out throughout the minutes. I think about Camila. It didn't actually happen. There's no way. Vampires don't exist. Where am I? What am I doing here? Why am I in so much pain? I'm sorry, Camila.

            My eyes linger around where I'm at. I'm in a tiny room, walls painted fern green. The decorations in the room consist of gold and light brown. My eyes feel sore as I look around the room. Blinking away the cracky feeling from my eyes. I try to move my legs but it feels like the muscles have just been pulled, ripped, and torn up and down. I stay still to not make them worse. Everything aches.

            Breathing in and out a few times, I hear the footsteps down the hall. Approaching. I just watch as the doorknob wobbles a few seconds before opening. It's him. He stands tall in the doorway, looking down at me in the bed. The way he's looking at me isn't the same as last night. He's looking at me with pity and annoyance. I don't think it's pity for me though. He pities himself for having to deal with me now.

              I just stare at him as he stares back. His eyebrows furrowed at the sight of me staring back.

            "You're awake. Good." He says. Accent still as thick as that night. Seeing his face is making it all slowly come back to me. "You've been asleep for about a week and a half. Though, most freshly sired vampires need that amount of time." He looks at me, as if for a reaction, any movement. I stay completely still. Hardly even breathing or blinking. The only part of me showing is my hair and my eyes just above the blanket.

            He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose again. "Okay. I get it. You're upset." He looks back at me still staring. I don't feel anything, I feel almost completely numb. Physically and mentally. "I've never done this before. So, this is an experience for the both of us, Maria." He pauses. "I miss your old eyes, you were a starer but at least you had dark eyes and not bright ones as you do now. Though, they should go down over a year. Possibly even black. Almost back to your usual eyes. As of now though, they're light grey with flecks of crimson. You should check them out once your body heals more." I don't look away from him. His expression changes from slightly smiling to creeped out.

         I feel like a bug. A bug that's just watching for danger. Sitting ever so still in the same spot. With big watching eyes.

         "Okay." He sighs. "Come out when you're ready." He twists the doorknob in his hand, slowly closing the door behind him. I don't look away from him until the door is shut. It takes him a moment to take his eyes off me before awkwardly looking down at his shoes.