Piece 7

It's been a few days since the argument and I still haven't talked to either Dally or Noah. I've been sitting with Maria at lunch, which is nice in its own way. It's not so loud with Dally around. Noah never got back to my short response message which I understand why. I didn't give him much of a conversation to work with. I understand Dally not wanting to talk to me but Noah not talking to me really hurts. I just need to apologize and hope everything can return to normal.

         "Why are you so quiet?" Maria asks looking at me spacing out, I forgot she was there. It's early in the morning before class starts and I'm waiting with her.

         "Thinking..?" I look at her to see if she'll just take that response. But of course, she sees right through me.

         "And about what?" She asks, looking me dead in my eyes.

          I sit there silent for a moment, careful not to move too much otherwise she'll think I'm lying or fidgeting because I'm nervous, or whatever else she's said before. She sees right through every move I make, so I've been trying to be careful. Keyword: Trying. She doesn't necessarily give hints as to whether or not she can tell.

      "About," I hesitate. I already know she's not going to like this answer because she doesn't like Dally. "About apologizing." I finally say.

      "To whom?" She asks it as a question but it sounds more like a demand. I can't help but almost smile. I feel really nervous. I shouldn't be feeling nervous about saying I'm going to apologize to someone.

      "You're not going to like that answer." I feel my body wince; she's going to be upset.

        She lets out a sigh before speaking, "Winter." She puts her head in her hands. "Winter." She repeats but this time, drags the R at the end of my name out as she rubs her face.

       "I know, I know!" I try to defend myself.

        "Do you know?" She asks and I feel bad all over again.

         "Yes," I exhale, "yes I do know. I know I shouldn't but I haven't even talked with him about his habits and how they're affecting not only himself but Noah and I too."

         "He's being childish by ignoring you." She replies.

        "Well, maybe he's dead," I mumble looking away.

       "Maybe." She looks back at me now and her arms are on the table.

         "You weren't supposed to hear that." I roll my eyes at the situation and lay my head down.

        "Then don't say it." I feel her fingers sneaking into my hair as she starts to play with it. "So cranky in the morning. Not a morning person?" she asks. I know she means nothing bad by her remark. Plus, my hair being played with feels nice.

        "Not today," I mumble out. My eyes are closed and I feel like sleeping, this feels really nice.

        "Normally are?" She asks, she almost sounds surprised.

         I lift my head up to look at her, "Yeah, normally. I can hardly ever sleep in. The latest I can go is about 8:30. I hate it but it's really useful at times." She looks almost shocked at the fact that I am normally a morning person.

        "What?"

        "You look like the type to be the most grumpiest person in the morning. There's no way."

       "Wow!" I laugh, "Well I am. Not like you look any better."

        "Oh, I'm not. At all. I hate waking up in the morning. If we didn't have school, I'd still be sleeping."