Four

Kaycee was in her classroom early and getting ready for the day when Sadie walked in.

"Hey Sadie," she smiled a little, "What's going on?"

"Can I take a little nap in here before school starts? I didn't sleep great last night," she asked, sounding a little embarrassed.

"Yeah, go ahead. Do you need a blanket? I have some in the closet,"

"No. I'll be alright," she smiled a little, laying on the small couch that Kaycee had gotten for her classroom.

Kaycee continued to work as she glanced at Sadie from time to time. The girl fell asleep quickly and she didn't want to leave her room with the girl sleeping so she texted Maddy to see if she would come in.

"Hey, what's up?" She asked, sitting in the chair right by Kaycee's desk.

"New practice schedule. Look it over for me?" Kaycee asked her as she handed over a piece of paper.

"Yeah, this is fine with me. As long as I have time to get Kollyn," she nodded, "Or Ryan can get her,"

"Chase is usually able to get Addie because the boys don't mess around," she chuckled.

"Yeah the girls like to talk but at least they're out before cut off time,"

She nodded with a little chuckle before printing more of the schedules and writing all their players' names on them.

"What's Sadie doing here so early?"

"I don't know. She got here and asked me if she could take a nap before school. Said she wasn't sleeping great," Kaycee explained, glancing up at the sleeping teen in the back of her room. They decided to go out into the hallway so the girl could sleep and they could talk openly about their suspicions.

"Something going on at home maybe?"

"Could be. It's just her and her mom. When the accident happened, she came and stayed with Chase and I until her mom came home from California. Something with her job," she explained with a shrug.

"Poor kid. Didn't have her mom when she needed her,"

"I know," she sighed, "I feel for the kid. She stayed in the basement or on the couch. When her mom came and got her, it was just awkward. Mom didn't hug her or anything,"

"I couldn't imagine being away from Koll. If something happened like that, I'd quit my job to be there for her,"

"I would for Addie too. My baby's more important," she sighed, looking in to see Sadie waking up.

"Hey, Sadie. Can we talk to you?" Maddy asked, pulling up a chair to Kaycee's desk.

"Uh yeah?" She nodded, coming over and sitting in the chair by her coaches.

"I need you to be honest with me," Kaycee started, looking at the teen, "Is something going on at home?"

"No," Sadie said as she glanced to the floor avoiding any eye contact with Kaycee.

"Sadie,"

"What?" She asked, looking at her in the eye this time.

"Are you lying to me?" She asked, not expecting the teen to completely erupt into tears.

"She wasn't in California for work. Well, she was but she tells people that it's a conference when really she's just going to Vegas and making her money off sleazy guys and drugs,"

"How long has this been going on?"

"2 years," she sighed, wiping her eyes as Maddy rubbed her back.

"Honey, why didn't you come to us sooner? We've been coaching you all year," Maddy sighed, looking at Kaycee.

"I didn't know how to. I don't want to get my mom in trouble but I just can't do it anymore," she sobbed, covering her eyes as she cried.

"I know Sadie but if you're not being taken care of then we have to report this. That's neglect, honey. I know you're 16 and you're still young,"

"She didn't even come for me when I lost my best friend," she sobbed, holding onto Maddy as she hugged her tightly.

Kaycee hated this part of being a teacher. She didn't want to ever break up a family and until this point, she hadn't had to. She just hoped she was making the right decision, even if Sadie's mom just had to go into rehab.

After practice that day, Maddy and Kaycee released the girls and waited for them to clear out of the locker room before they sat in the coach's office.

"So we have to do this," Kaycee sighed, questioning again if she was making the right decision.

"We have to," Maddy nodded, finding the number, calling it, and setting her phone on the desk.

They went through the whole process and made a report before hanging up with CPS and moving on with their day. No one was going to know it was them besides Sadie, Ryan, and Chase.

Kaycee got home roughly an hour after practice ended. She'd texted Chase that she was coming home later and she would explain everything.

"Hey. What's going on? Ryan said Maddy was staying too,"

"We had to call CPS for Sadie," she sighed, setting her bags down before sitting on the couch.

"What's going on?"

"She told us today that her mom was in Vegas on a different kind of business than a conference," she sighed again. "When I asked her, she just looked at the floor and when I asked her again, she spit it out like word vomit,"

"Poor kid,"

"So I don't know exactly what's going to happen but we filed the report so," She sighed, picking up Adeline before she went to the kitchen.

"You got that look in your eyes, what are you wanting to do?" He asked, noticing her face change as she looked something up on her computer.

"What if we fostered her? Just until her mom completes a program or something,"

"Kayc are you sure?" He asked, looking at her like she had 3 heads. "That's a lot to take on, not to mention we have a baby,"

"I know but babe, she's a teenager. She's self-sufficient and knows how to act, you saw her for the few days she was with us," She brought up, turning her computer toward him, "So would it really be different if we had her for more than 3 days?"

"I guess not," He sighed, "Are you sure about this?"

"One hundred percent," She nodded, already filling out the form to get more information.

It didn't take long for the agency to call them and give them all the information they needed as well as getting them put in the weekend class for people that wanted to become foster parents. Luckily, Ryan and Maddy said that they could watch Adeline both days and any days that they really needed help with.

"So we're gonna do this? Foster a teenager?" Kaycee asked, looking at her husband after they made all the arrangements for Adeline and everything they needed to for the class.

"Yeah, I think we are,"