Thirteen

"Night Sadie," Kaycee said as she and Chase were getting ready to head upstairs. Adeline was already in bed.

"Night," she said as she limped into her curtained area.

Chase and Kaycee went upstairs, sitting in their bed as they prepared to settle down for the night. Kaycee had been thinking a lot about Sadie and her presence in their home.

"Chase we have to talk,"

"Kaycee it's never good when you start a conversation with that," he chuckled, throwing unnecessary pillows off their bed.

"I'm serious Chase. I need to talk to you about this,"

"Okay. What is it?" He asked, finally looking at her as she thought before speaking.

"I wanna adopt Sadie,"

"And you're worried that I was gonna say no?" He chuckled, "Kayc, I love that girl. And after everything she's been through, a stable family is what she needs. We can provide that. So I'm not going to tell you no,"

"I'm glad you agree," she nodded, "I'll call on my planning period tomorrow and see what we need to do,"

"Or. We wait until Saturday. Call our social worker and go to lunch or something so we can both be there. And maybe Sadie," he suggested as both of them put phones on the chargers and settled in their bed.

Kaycee went to sleep with a smile on her face, happy that Chase was on board with adopting Sadie. She wanted to talk to Sadie about it first so she decided to cancel the next evening's practice so the Elliott family could go out to dinner and they could talk to her about it. Her only fear was that Sadie didn't want to become a part of their family, but it was the smallest percentage she could think of. After thinking a little bit more, she let herself slip into sleep and hoped that their youngest would sleep through the night.

——————

The next day, they had their normal chaotic morning but somehow managed to get out the door on time. As soon as they were in their cars, Kaycee started driving to the school while Chase took Adeline to her daycare.

"So. Today, I'm pulling you early and we're gonna go to your doctor's appointment and then, we'll meet Chase and Addie at dinner,"

"Woah. Dinner? What's the occasion?" Sadie asked, looking at her phone as Kaycee drove.

"You'll have to wait and see," she grinned, wanting to ask her right then and there but not wanting to do it without chase.

"Mom, why do you have to do that to me?" She chuckled, looking at Kaycee who chuckled as well.

"I'll see you when I pick you up. Hopefully, we can get that cast off and get you in a brace instead," Kaycee said as she stopped the car in her usual spot.

"Fine," Sadie smiled, carefully dropping out of the tall SUV and hobbling to the back to grab her crutches. "I'll see you later. Love you,"

"Love you too honey," The woman smiled, watching as Sadie crutched into the school.

"Boo!" Evelyn grinned, jumping out as Sadie walked in the front doors of the school.

"Dang you!" Sadie jumped, handing her backpack over to her other best friend. "Just for that, you can carry my backpack,"

"I'll take it. It was worth it to see you jump," she chuckled, carrying the other girl's bag for her. "So what's it like living with Mr and Mrs Elliott?"

"My parents?" She chuckled, "They're awesome. I wasn't expecting to be there long but after what my mother said, I don't really want to leave,"

"It's so weird to hear you say they're your parents. Are they planning on adopting you?"

"I kinda hope so," Sadie nodded, "I really do. And we see the Blaneys a lot too,"

"You do?" She asked, carrying both of their things into the classroom.

"Yeah. Their baby and Addie play together. It's like once a week that they're there," Sadie shrugged, hopping to her seat after putting her crutches at the back of the room.

"That's gotta be weird,"

"Not really. It's like having second parents," she shrugged, "They really care. Way more than my mom ever did,"

"Who? The Elliott's?"

"Yeah. Then and the Blaney's. Like I said, second parents," Sadie grinned, looking at the door as Maddy walked in.

"Hey kiddo,"

"Hey Maddy," she grinned, happy to be on somewhat of a first-name basis with her teacher. Only when class wasn't in session.

"Big appointment today?" She asked,

The bell soon rang and classes began. The problem was, that she started really thinking about recovery and if she would be able to do any sports at the end of the year.

She went through the day until it hit 2 when Kaycee pulled her from class to go to her doctor's appointment.

"You nervous?" Kaycee asked, looking at the girl in the passenger seat.

"A little," Sadie shrugged, "I just want to get off those crutches. They're so annoying and my armpits hurt,"

"Well, hopefully you can today,"

"Do you think I'll be able to do any sports in the spring?" Sadie asked, looking over at her mom as she drove.

"I don't know sweetie," she sighed, "I don't want you to get your hopes up,"

"They aren't. Trust me," the teenager sighed, "I just miss volleyball. That's all,"

"I know you do honey. But you always have next year. And. Maddy and I will have all summer to get you back in shape,"

"Wouldn't that be cheating?" She asked, looking at Kaycee again as she pulled into the doctor's office parking lot.

"Not exactly," Kaycee chuckled, "It's no different than another mom putting her daughter in classes,"

"I guess so," she shrugged, getting out of the car after Kaycee had parked. She got to the back of the car and got her crutches out.

"You ready?"

"Here goes nothing," she nodded, crutching into the office and hoping that she'd be able to play some kind of sport by the end of the year.