Ten

Sadie came home with Kaycee after several hours in the hospital. Chase had come home a few hours earlier and with help from Ryan, set up an entire bedroom for Sadie in the dining room. They had even put a curtain up so she had some privacy as well as her bed, her dresser, and her desk. They moved the dining room table to the basement for the time being and they could use the island to eat or simply just eat in the living room. Whatever would be most comfortable for her.

Chase was outside as soon as Kaycee pulled up in the driveway, ready to help Sadie get in the house.

"Hey kid," He said, trying to get a little smile out of her as he got her crutches out and set them up for her.

"Thanks," She mumbled, only slightly letting her good leg hit the ground as she got out.

"We got everything set up downstairs so you won't have to worry about the steps,"

"Why can't I just stay in my own room?" She asked as they got into the house, "Please Dad. I just want to stay upstairs,"

"Go to the dining room and then tell me if you still want to," He nodded toward the curtain.

She crutched over and threw the curtain open, revealing what looked like her bedroom in the dining room of their home.

"Still want to stay upstairs?" Kaycee asked, smiling as she saw Sadie's face change.

"No. This should be fine,"

"What do you want to eat kiddo?" Chase asked, looking at Sadie for the answer.

"Whatever sounds good," She shrugged, crutching to her bed and hoisting herself up with her arms.

They both smiled and let Sadie have some time in her "room" while they ordered dinner and hoped that everything would fall into place within the next few days.

——————

"I'm so nervous," Kaycee sighed, getting ready for the first court date since Sadie had been with them.

"Me too. Did her mom complete the program?"

"I think so. But I'm just nervous how Sadie's gonna take it," she said as she fixed his tie.

"Hopefully everything goes smooth and we're home within a few hours. Try not to worry," Chase said as he kissed her head and went downstairs to make sure Adeline was all ready to go. Luckily she'd be sitting with Ryan, Maddy, and Kollyn.

"Yeah," she nodded, walking out of the room and going downstairs to where Sadie's curtain was closed. "You ready hun? We gotta get going,"

"Yeah. Coming," she smiled as she opened her makeshift bedroom up and crutched out. It had only been a few days since her surgery and while she was working on healing, she wasn't chancing going without the crutches yet.

They were soon all in the car, silent besides Adeline's babbling. Sadie just stared out the window, unsure of what was going to happen.

They got to the courthouse and went inside, seeing that Maddy and Ryan were there with Kollyn already.

"Hey guys," Sadie smiled, waving to both of them as they got closer.

They talked for a minute before going inside and taking their seats. Sadie's mother sat at the table beside them but showed no emotion at all, even when Sadie smiled at her.

"Have you completed your rehab, Miss Davis?"

"Yes sir," she nodded.

"So we are ready to start the reunification process with your daughter, Sadie?"

"No, your honor. I do not wish to have Sadie back in my home," Tammy stated, refusing to look at Sadie at all.

Sadie just looked at Kaycee, who put her arm around her and hugged her close.

"You do not want to reunite with your daughter?" He asked, confirming what he had just heard.

"Correct. I'd like to sign away my parental rights," she stated, again, refusing to look at her child.

Sadie was doing everything she could to keep a straight face. She wanted to scream at her mother and let her know everything she was thinking about her but she just stayed quiet. She'd never heard that her own mother didn't want her but she guessed she should've seen the signs coming.

Chase and Kaycee stayed on either side of Sadie, offering support in any way they could.

The judge ruled that Sadie would go back with the Elliott's and stay with them until they had a permanent solution.

Sadie was extremely quiet after the court date and hearing her mother say that she didn't want her. Hearing her mother say that she was happy that Sadie was taken from her really hurt the girl and led to a lot of damage and anxiety in Sadie.

"I'm gonna sleep on the couch tonight so I'll be close if you need me," Kaycee told her, handing her medication over with a glass of water.

"Okay," She mumbled, shrugging slightly as she took the medicine.

"I'll be here if you want to talk. Just call if you need me," she told her, kissing her forehead before she left the room. Kaycee went upstairs and started to get changed but ended up in tears as she sat on the bed.

"She okay?" Chase asked, sitting down next to her as he was upset too.

"I can't understand," she shook her head, "Why wouldn't she want her? She's her mother. I couldn't think of saying that to her or Addie,"

"There are just some things we'll never know Kayc,"

"What do we do from here?" She asked, looking at him as she wiped her eyes, hoping to keep the mascara from running.

"We do what we can to make this home for her. It's already home. We've already been taking good care of her. You heard Ryan and Maddy after we got her, she was like a new kid. That's just what we have to keep up,"

She nodded and wiped her eyes again, hugging him tightly before she got changed and headed downstairs for bed again.