Eight

Sadie and Kaycee spent the day watching some movies and laying around the house. Sadie went upstairs eventually, leaving Kaycee to clean up and disinfect everything. She didn't want to get sick and definitely didn't want Chase or Adeline to get sick. Adeline was still little and she could always get it at daycare too but as a mom, she worried for both of her girls.

She went upstairs and checked on Sadie, tucking her in a little bit more before she went back downstairs just as Chase was carrying Adeline in.

"Hey," She sighed, taking Adeline's bottle bag from him while he put her car seat on the table and pulling her out of it.

"Sadie upstairs?" He asked, settling Addie on her play mat in the living room before he put her car seat by the door.

"Yeah, she's sleeping. I just checked on her. She felt like she couldn't tell us because of her mom and what her mom had told her before. Her mom just doesn't care Chase," She sighed, shaking her head as she put some of the dirty bottles in the sink to wash.

"That's just how she was raised and it's gonna take time to undo that. She's not used to it yet,"

"I know. I want her to know that she has us now,"

"I'm sure she does," He nodded.

They both went out to the other room with the baby, playing with her while Sadie slept. Chase went up and checked on her several times as well as Kaycee.

She came down around 8 that night while Kaycee was upstairs putting Adeline to bed, confused about where she was but saw Chase so she knew she wasn't alone in the house.

"Hey, kid. How you doing?" He asked, turning around as he spoke to her.

"Okay, I guess. Where's coach?"

"Putting Addie to bed, come over here," he said as he pat the spot beside him.

Sadie walked over a little hesitantly as she'd never had a stable man in her life.

"So we have court coming up. You have about a month left before your mom is ready. We'll see if you get to go back to your mom,"

"Do you think it'll go okay?"

"I think so. You ready to go back home?" He asked, looking at her as she played with her fingers.

"I don't know," she shrugged, "I just feel like it's going to be all the same and I'm gonna be alone again,"

"Well if it does. Can you look at me?" He asked, waiting until Sadie looked at him to continue, "You always have a home here Sadie. No matter what. Sound good?"

"Yeah," she nodded, hesitating for a second before she gave him a hug, "Thank you,"

"You're welcome kiddo," he smiled, hugging her tightly.

"Aww look at you 2," Kaycee said as she came down the steps.

——————

It was only a week of Sadie being sick and spending a few days at home with either Chase or Kaycee. They took good care of her, and didn't make her fend for herself like her mother did.