Chapter 2: Dim Witted

Mattheo didn't know how much time had passed with him sitting in the window before he heard voices on the other side of the door. He quickly gathered himself and went to stand, his back resting against the wall behind him.

The door swung open, and four boys walked in. They looked equally as shocked as he did when they saw him standing there, in their dorm.

"I can't do this right now," Blaise said, pushing past his friends, still stuck by the door, to lay on his bed. Theo stayed frozen in place, and Draco crossed his arms across his chest.

"Hello," Enzo tried, "I'm Lorenz-"

The new boy turned to look away from the door. He quickly rushed to his bed where he laid himself down, pulling the covers up to cover everything but his head. He stared ahead, feeling thankful for the odd shape of the room so that he wouldn't have to look at any of the other boys.

"Go to bed Enz," Theo said softly, "we'll chat in the morning."

Enzo let out a tired sigh, then walked to his bed to undress himself and go to sleep.

The sound of an alarm clock rang through the room, awakening the boys from their slumber. "Fucking hell," Theo exclaimed as he sat up in his bed, rubbing his eyes. "I thought we agreed to destroy that vile thing last term."

Draco muttered something, but ultimately agreed with Theo.

"Uh lads," Lorenzo said from the other side of the room, "he's not here."

"What?" Blaise asked, barely awake yet.

"Mattheo," Enzo responded, "he's not here."

The boys looked at each other confused.

"We don't have time to worry about some bloke who won't even introduce himself to us," Draco hissed and pulled himself out of bed to get changed into his uniform. "Besides, we don't have much time to get breakfast."

With those words, they all got ready for school, hurrying into The Great Hall to have breakfast before their first class of the day.

"Don't you think it is weird that he just disappears?" Enzo found himself asking as the group headed down one of the long corridors to find their classroom.

"That bastard is weird," Draco spat, "Dumbledore didn't even say his last name at the banquet."

This set something off in Blaise. "You're right?" he stopped in his tracks. "I did not even notice that."

"What can I say," Draco scoffed, crossing his arms, "I am the observant one of the group."

Theo sighed loudly. "You lads are thinking too hard. Has it ever crossed your moron minds that maybe the boy is simply dim-witted and not used to having friends?"

"Or chatting to people in general," Draco added, clearly upset by Mattheo's lack of manners.

At this point, all of the boys turned to look at Blaise, their backs turned to the entrance of the classroom. Lorenzo turned around, hoping to enter class when he almost bumped directly into Mattheo, who looked far from pleased.

"Uh guys," he gulped, taking a step back, almost backing into Theo who turned around to see what was going on.

"Hello there," Theo said, unbothered by the fact that Mattheo most likely heard everything they just said about him. "Didn't expect to see you attending class today, since you fancy sneaking around more than actually participating in school activities."

Mattheo didn't say anything; instead, he leaped forward, grabbing onto Theo, whose eyes widened with pure shock. For a short second, he was stunned, but soon he realized what was going on and began to fight back. Enzo stepped backward, his hands clutching his face. "What are you looking at?" Draco hissed, eyes meeting Enzo's before he eventually tried to grab Mattheo's arm. "Do something!"