Chapter 10: Puppets

Mattheo didn't expect his Christmas to be spent all alone yet again, but there he was, sitting by himself while staring into the glistening fire before him. The common room was empty. Not many students liked to spend Christmas in a dungeon, not even if it was decorated nicely in the brightest variations of red, white, and green.

At least, he actually got a present this year, Mattheo thought to himself, the tiny box from Draco in his hands.

He gently untied the bow and pulled off the red wrapping paper. Mattheo stared at the tiny box in his hands. He slowly opened it, not really knowing what to expect. Inside was a thin silver chain bracelet. There was not much to it, but it was still a greater gift than he had ever received before.

He slowly pulled it out of the box, looking down at the shiny metal in the palm of his hand. It took him a few attempts to put it around his wrist, but at last, he managed.

It didn't take more than a day before Mattheo found out why Theo was ignoring him. It turns out, Theo hadn't been very good at putting Mattheo's stuff back in its place. Or rather, Mattheo knew exactly how the letter is supposed to lie, tucked away under an old jumper.

He knows the letter like the back of his hand, every scribble, every curve. It must be from reading it over and over again, he thinks.

The sound of the entrance takes him by surprise, and he stands up in anticipation. A small part of him wishes whoever it might be to be Theo who's finally realized that he overreacted and has come to apologize.

However, it is not. Instead, a small group of girls walk in, giggling to themselves. Mattheo sighs and flops down on one of the large black couches.

What a wonderful time.

Every morning, Theo woke up before Mattheo to leave before he got a chance to say anything. It was the same today. When Mattheo awoke, the dorm was empty. Mattheo slowly rose from the comfort of his bed before beginning to get himself ready.

It was the last day of the break, meaning that the rest of his dorm mates would return. He didn't know whether Theo had told them about Mattheo's secret yet, and he honestly wished to never find out.

Unfortunately for Mattheo, the second his friends step through the doorway, he could tell that something was off.

Draco barely looked at him, and Lorenzo had a sad expression on his face. Blaise pushed past them, clearly ignoring Mattheo, who was standing in the middle of the room.

Theo walked up behind them, his arms folded across his chest. He glared directly at Mattheo with dead eyes. "Really?" Mattheo scoffed, carelessly throwing his arms out. "So this is how it's going to be now, huh?"

They all stared at him, none of them uttering a single word. "Fuck this," Mattheo cursed, making sure to bump into all of them as he pushed past them and out of the door.

For a second, he heard his name being called, but once he looked back, no one was following him. He shook his head, an ironic grin appearing across his face. Mattheo headed towards the Astronomy Tower. He prayed that no one was there and eventually headed up the spiral staircase.

To his luck, it was completely empty.

Mattheo sighed, taking a halt by the railing. It was cold outside, and he was not nearly dressed appropriately. Every breath he took was visible in the cold winter air, and he slowly felt his fingers going numb.

He tapped them along the railing, his mind anywhere but at the tower. This was never meant to happen. One of the reasons why he was even sent to Hogwarts in the first place was to be able to get a new start. Yet there he was, feeling no different from before he even went.