Chapter 11: Acting

A/N  

Trigger Waring: Mention of death and abuse. Read at your own caution. 

-

Whispers filled the room as soon as Mattheo stepped into his first class of the day. Mattheo tried to ignore them as he headed for a seat in the back. As he passed by two girls he heard the faint sound of his last name escape from their lips. "He's a Riddle."

His muscles tensed up and he had to squeeze his fists shut to contain himself. He slowly pulled out his chair. He didn't even realize how tense he was until his head started to pound from having his jaw clenched for too long.

Mattheo was rubbing his temples with his eyes closed when he heard the chair next to him get pulled out. He wasn't expecting anyone to willingly sit beside him but once he opened his eyes he almost had to hold back a gasp.

It was Blaise.

Blaise kept staring ahead, not once even glancing at Mattheo, but something about the gesture still made a spike of hope ignite within him.

Mattheo glanced at Theo. Theo sat diagonally in front of them. He was practically laying on the table with his arms folded in front of him, his chin resting on top. Mattheo hadn't seen Theo since he'd gone after Draco the previous night, nor had he wanted to.

Mattheo sank back into his chair, quietly waiting for the professor to arrive. He looked down at the old books on the table in front of him, already bored out of his mind. He usually didn't mind astrology. He and Lorenzo had even spent countless hours revising the subject in the fall.

The sound of laughter erupted from the far corner of the room. This caught everyone's attention. Mattheo sat himself up, watching a group of Slytherin's as they all turned their attention to him. "I'm assuming it's true then?" A boy asked, "and I'm assuming they didn't know either. Seeing as they won't even look at you." The boy nodded towards Blaise.

Blaise's head shot up from the textbook in front of him, his eyes switching between Mattheo and the unfamiliar Slytherin. Theo sat himself up properly, his gaze darted to Draco who quickly looked away. "What?" The boy taunted, inching closer and closer to Mattheo, "you didn't think we'd never find out did you?"

Mattheo bit down on the insides of his cheeks, trying not to say anything. He didn't want the situation to escalate. "What? Are you just not going to say anything? Perhaps you're afraid you'll lose your temper?" He stopped on the opposite side of the table. "Are you going to punch me? Come on. Show us. Show us that you're just like-," Mattheo stood up abruptly, the chair screeching against the floor. "Mattheo-," Blaise tried, reaching for the fabric of Mattheo's sleeve in an attempt to stop him.

There was a stinging in Mattheo's eyes as he glared back down at Blaise. His voice broke. "Piss off Blaise." He pulled his arm away before rushing out of the classroom. How pathetic, he thought of himself.

Lorenzo sighed and closed his eyes, his foot tapping the ground continuously as he rubbed his forehead in dismay.

Hours later, Mattheo wandered down an empty corridor when he heard some voices further down the hall. He slowed down, trying to watch his step in order to slip by unnoticed. He stopped by a corner and barely believed his own eyes when he spotted the back of Theo's head. "What in Merlin's beard is wrong with you? You've been acting so weird ever since you got back from Christmas break?" Theo raised his voice, he was almost yelling. Mattheo assumed something must've upset him.

"Oh I've been acting weird?" Lorenzo shot back, a look of pure disbelief on his face. He scoffed loudly, trying to keep himself composed. "You're the one who keeps messing things up. Perhaps you should take a look at yourself before you start getting into other people's business."