Chapter 4: The Prank

Moments later, all five of the boys were sneaking down the corridors, looking for the room where Hagrid would have hidden the Nifflers. The plan was simple; they would check every door on the lowest level of Hogwarts for the Niffler cages. Once they found them, they would head to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and let them out. Blaise and Draco even headed to the kitchen to try and find some leftovers from dinner to give to them.

While they were looking for food, Mattheo, Theo, and Lorenzo were opening doors left and right to find the cages. "What if we don't find them?" Mattheo whispered, closing a door behind him. "Well, then we'll have to head back to our dorm," Theo responded, creaking a door open and checking inside.

"Luckily we won't have to," Enzo said from the other side of the hall, smiling widely. "In here! Come quick!"

Theo and Mattheo shared a look before heading towards the room Enzo just disappeared into. Once they made it to the open door, they found Enzo crouched down on the ground next to two cages with approximately five Nifflers in each. "Blimey," Theo said in a breath of relief, "come on, let's pick them up." They all gathered around to help each other carry the cages to their next destination. "Oi, they're in here," Blaise said from the door, waving at Draco, who was out in the hall. Blaise was eating some sort of bun while carrying a load more in a folded-up blanket. Draco appeared in the door, hesitating as he saw Mattheo struggling to pick up the cage, but eventually went to help him.

Together, they left the room, closing it up behind them before making their way to the DADA classroom. "Careful," Lorenzo whispered, almost getting stepped on by Draco, who was trying not to fall over behind him. "I'm trying!" Draco hissed.

"We made it," Blaise whispered, opening up the door and holding it for his friends who walked in slowly. They put down the cages in the middle of the classroom, each taking a step back to admire their work. Blaise closed the door, then made his way over with his food. He unwrapped the load of buns he'd been carrying and let them fall to the floor between them. "Are we ready?" Theo said quietly, crouching down to the cage closest to him. Everyone agreed, and Draco crouched down to open the other one.

In a matter of moments, the Nifflers ran out of the cages, immediately heading towards the bread in the middle. They squeaked and squealed in excitement. The boys looked at each other, victory on their faces as they high-fived and fist-bumped each other. "We better go before someone hears," Theo said, nodding towards the door. Everyone followed him out into the hallway. Mattheo, who exited last, closed the door shut behind them.

"I cannot believe we did that," Draco said quietly, a wide grin on his face. Blaise bumped his shoulder with Draco's, and they laughed together. A door shut in the distance, and everyone stopped dead in their tracks. Theo, who was in front, leaned ever so slightly forwards to catch a glimpse of what was happening down the hallway on their left but fell back quickly once he realized that it was Mr. Filch, wandering the halls.

He turned around in pure panic, making eye contact with the others. Blaise was quick to grab Draco, pulling him backward to find somewhere to hide. Filch's footsteps got louder and louder in the distance. Enzo was frozen in place, and he almost let out a sound of pure shock when a hand wrapped around his upper arm and pulled him in between two stone beams by the left wall. They were wide enough to keep them out of sight, as long as Filch didn't decide to head down the hallway they were currently hiding in.

Enzo's back was pressed against the cold stone of the wall behind him, and he finally looked up to meet Mattheo's eyes. His finger was raised to cover his lips, signing for Enzo to stay quiet. The space was quite tight, and Enzo wished deeply that Filch didn't decide to take a right turn, capturing them as he'd head down the hall.

That's when it struck him that he never saw Theo get away, and panic washed over him, but there was nothing he could do.

Filch's footsteps came to a halt, and both Enzo's and Mattheo's hearts stopped for just a second. They then continued, and to their luck, they continued down the hallway and away from where they were standing.

Mattheo's eyes widened, and they stayed quietly in place for a few more seconds, trying to listen out for Filch. It was completely silent, and none of them expected it when Theo's head popped around the corner. "Hey?"

"Fucking hell, Theo!" Enzo immediately pushed himself away from the small space with Mattheo and out into the hall. "Are you trying to get us caught?" he added, fury in his eyes.

"Calm down, Berkshire; it was just for laughs," Theo chuckled, "besides, Filch is long gone."

Mattheo shook his head, a smile on his face.

That night, the five boys went to bed with smiles on their faces. They were equally excited to see how Snape would react when he found his classroom in shambles after discovering the, now free, Nifflers. To their luck, his reaction did not disappoint. When he opened the classroom door, his face turned as red as the Weasleys' hair, and he slammed it shut immediately. He then proceeded to stomp his way to Dumbledore's office, where no one but Dumbledore himself and Professor Snape knew what went down, but judging by the loud complaints from Snape, he was very displeased.

"Merlin, that's the best thing that's happened since we got back," Blaise laughed, moving a few pots from one shelf to another, as they were stuck in detention yet again. Today consisted of cleaning up one of the greenhouses. "Agreed," Lorenzo said, smiling to himself, "I only wish we could have seen the mess."

"I'm astonished that we are not to clean it," Theo said from the corner of the greenhouse, looking at his friends, "I mean, they don't know we're at fault, but still."

Draco shrugged. "Let us keep it that way, eh?"

Mattheo had been awfully quiet the whole time they had been cleaning. "Surely they will try to find out who did it?" He asked, suddenly feeling rather guilty about last night's actions, as if he hadn't just the day prior promised the headmaster that he wouldn't break any more rules.

Theo made his way to the others. "They are going to try."

Enzo swung a long cloth over his shoulder. "But they won't know who did it."

"They probably think the Weasleys' did it," Draco said, "which is likely, considering their abnormally large interest in causing destruction at this school." Draco scoffed, crossing his arms.

"So you don't think we are going to get caught?" Mattheo asked, pouring some water on the magical plants.

Draco sighed deeply. "There is no we in this," he paused to look at Theo, "the only reason you were there was because Enzo invited you."

Mattheo didn't say anything. He merely stared ahead at Lorenzo, who had fallen awfully quiet. Theo steadied himself with a cough, breaking through the heavy silence slowly occurring. "Draco is right." He crossed his arms. "This does not mean that we're friends."

Mattheo took a deep breath. "I didn't say that, did I?"

Enzo opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the entrance to the greenhouse suddenly opening in a rush. "You five," Professor McGonagall said, "come with me at once."

The five boys shared a look of terror before following McGonagall to Dumbledore's office. At their arrival, they discovered Harry Potter, seated at Dumbledore's desk with a wide grin on his face.

A/N

Thank you for all the support here on wattpad! I didn't think it would reach quite this many people in such short time, but I am very thankful it did. I LOVE reading your comments, and I am grateful for your support. I hope you enjoy this chapter <3

(I haven't read this through.. let me know if there are any mistakes)