Chapter 15: Turning Point

A/N

The trigger warning contains a slight spoiler. Scroll to the end to see the warning before reading.

-

It felt as though a darkness had consumed Mattheo's body. The hairs on his arms stood up as he hastily got out of bed. He sat himself down on the old wooden chair by his desk and lit a candle. He held the old piece of paper above the flame, watching as the words of his father's quill vanished with the gray smoke.

Why would he reach out now? They hadn't spoken since Mattheo was sent away, and now this.

Mattheo's head went foggy, and he knew he wasn't going to get any sleep. He let out a wave of shaky breaths.

His throat had run dry and he felt as though his world had shattered. He wasn't stupid. His father hadn't cared back then, and there was no way he cared now.

His heartbeat increased as he felt the anger bubbling inside him. He wanted answers.

He heard a ruffle to his left. "Mattheo? Mate?" Theo's hoarse voice sounded, "what are you doing?"

Mattheo slowly turned his head towards his friend. "I didn't mean to wake you."

Theo didn't respond to that, instead he slowly sat up on his bed. The old wood creaked and Mattheo closed his eyes from the horrible noise. Theo's eyes narrowed as he watched the paper disappear between Mattheo's fingers. "Who was it from?" He eventually asked, his jaw clenching as he continued to watch Mattheo. He recognized the odd looking paper from earlier.

Mattheo's head turned back to the candle. The paper was gone now. It had turned to smoke. His silence spoke louder than words. Theo understood immediately. His heart dropped.

"What'd he want?" He asked, trying to sound stern.

Mattheo shook his head, his eyes glued to the candle in front of him. He didn't know what to say. His lip quivered as he tried to puzzle his words together. "Theo. I don't- I can't," he whispered, unable to hide the disappointment and fear anymore.

Theo got up from his bed. He walked towards Mattheo's desk, taking a halt next to his friend. "Mattheo. What did he want from you?"

Mattheo looked up at him, his eyes going dark.

No longer than a day had passed before another letter mysteriously found its way to Mattheo. It was dropped in his lap as he sat in the courtyard with Blaise.

Blaise looked at it, a confused expression on his face. "Did you open the other one?" He asked, his eyes fixated on the letter.

Mattheo bit down on the flesh of his lip. "No," he lied.

Blaise then shrugged, not wanting to ask any further questions. That was something Mattheo liked about him. He didn't pressure anyone to speak, he just listened when necessary and kept quiet when needed.

Mattheo looked down at it, his heart skipping a beat. He looked up again with haste, suddenly feeling anxious. Could he be watching?

His eyes scanned the closest surroundings, but nothing seemed suspicious. Other students were chatting and laughing, enjoying the morning sun. Mattheo's eyes met Theo's as he walked towards them. He had a serious look on his face. Theo was the only one who knew. Mattheo didn't have the heart to tell the others. He was scared that if they knew his father was reaching out to him, they'd flee. He wouldn't even blame them if they did. He simply couldn't.