Chapter 14: Like a Chant

The sound of happy chatter filled the courtyard with joy and excitement. They were surrounded by the smell of fresh spring flowers and the remains of the cold winter were slowly passing. It wasn't warm outside just yet, but the change in temperature was enough to leave the coats and gloves behind, and switch them for something thinner and more suitable for the spring weather.

Lorenzo leaned his head back against the large tree. He closed his eyes, enjoying the way the sun hit his skin through the leaves above. "I love it here."

Mattheo's head perked up. "Yeah?"

He had a wide smile on his face as he stared up at the blue sky above them, his arms crossed behind his head while he laid on the ground. "Why's that?"

Lorenzo sighed deeply. "I don't know. I just do."

Mattheo paused for a moment. "Well there must be a reason."

Lorenzo stilled, falling silent as if he was getting lost in thought. "I suppose there is."

Mattheo sat up, expecting some sort of explanation, but nothing came. Enzo wasn't even looking at him, so eventually he laid back down in the grass.

It was silent for a moment or two. All they heard were birds chirping and the faint voices of other students enjoying their spare time. "We should probably head back inside," Mattheo eventually said, "unless we want to hear Draco's complaints all night."

Lorenzo sighed, long and deep. "I can't take another moment of studying. I will burst."

Mattheo stood up completely."Unfortunately I don't think we have much of a choice. O.W.Ls are coming up and we need to pass. You know that."

Lorenzo shook his head. He was clearly irritated. "If someone mentions those stupid exams one more time," he cussed, his voice trailing off. Mattheo narrowed his eyes at him. He crouched down in front of his friend. "Are you okay?"

Lorenzo's eyes met his own, yet they looked different now. "I'm fine," he hissed, instantly getting onto his feet, "stop worrying about me."

Mattheo stared at Lorenzo's back in shock as he watched him rush away. It was clear that something was bothering his friend, but he had no idea what it was.

Blaise was pouring himself a cup of water as Theo sat down across from him in the Great Hall. Books were scattered everywhere and paper sheets made it impossible to see where the table beneath came to and end. Lorenzo had been awfully quiet. His eyes kept scanning the same page, over and over again. Mattheo had noticed.

Theo tapped his foot against the stone floor. He was sick of studying. He let out a frustrated groan.

Blaise held up his newly poured water, showing it to his friends. They all stared at him with curiosity as he stood up, walked two feet away and poured the water over Draco's head. He had fallen asleep 30 minutes ago, his head in an old book on the history of magic. "Afternoon Malfoy," Blaise chirped, a bright smile on his face, "I figured nap time was over."

Draco glared at him, his eyes making their way down on the table. His paper sheets were soaked. "I despise you."

Blaise blew him a kiss.

Theo groaned loud and dramatically, grabbing both of their attention. "Can we please do something else? The weather is finally starting to get warmer, but we're just sitting here, stuck in this prison of ours."

Mattheo shut the book displayed in front of him. "I'm with Nott. Can we please take a break?"

Draco started scrambling through his stuff. "No. This is important, we need to be prepared."