Death all around

Gazing out of the stainless windows at the world passing by, thoughts clouded my mind. Everything that has happened has been so confusing to me. I could hear soft footsteps entering the room and I prepared myself for the conversation ahead.

I kept my eyes glued on the outside as whoever it was sat down. We stayed like that in silence for a few minutes but it wasn't uncomfortable. I could tell it was my district partner - who's name I heard was Silas Clark - from the silence.

"How are you doing?" He asked softly.

I turned my head towards him, my glossy green eyes meeting his emotionless blue ones.

"I'm fine," i weakly smiled back at him.

I started to feel the tears in my eyes build up once more but I didn't want to let them fall. Silas came and sat next to me and pulled me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around his muscular body and rested my head on his chest. He reminded me a lot of my brother. I missed him so much.

After a while of him comforting me we pulled apart and gave each other warm smiles. The colourful lady from the reaping came into the room with another lady in her 40s.

"Well look at this, our tributes are already bonding with each other," she spoke happily joining us at the table.

It was time to eat and I was overwhelmed with choices. Food was never like this back home in district 11 - we were lucky to get anything. The table was filled with food I'd never even seen before. There were lots of different meats, vegetables and so much more and I didn't know where to start. Silas must've seen my hesitance.

"Don't worry, take your time," he reassured me, starting to eat.

I grabbed a few pieces of meat and some bread rolls and began to eat. The meat was very rich in flavour and was like nothing I had tasted before.

Once we had all finished our food, they brought out a bunch of desserts. They all looked quite exotic and colourful. I had decided on a chocolate cake - I hadn't had chocolate since I was a little girl.

Afterwards, I headed to my room and got ready for bed. The pyjamas they had for me were so soft and silky and I loved them. I got changed and I layed on my bed and closed my eyes and I drifted off to sleep.

⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆

I opened my eyes to the blinding sun peeking through my window. I climbed out of my bed and walked out into the kitchen where I assumed my brother and sister were.

"Julia! Milo!" I called but there was no response.

I scurried through the house in search for anyone but there was nobody. I put my shoes on and ran outside and my heart stopped. There I saw both my brother and sister tied up to a pole with blood dripping down their faces. Someone grabbed me from behind and put their hand over my mouth to silence my cries. I kicked and punched at the guy behind me but I was too weak to do any real damage.

A tall, grey haired man walked up to my siblings, admiring the steel machete in his grip. He turned towards me, his ice cold stare causing me to freeze into place. He raised his weapon and swung it down, straight through my brothers skull.

That brought me out of my trance as I screamed, not caring how raw my throat felt. His lifeless body collapsed onto the ground, his blood staining the rocky ground.

The grey haired man let out a low chuckle and brought the machete up to his nose and inhaled the scent of my brothers blood. He lowered his arm and before I knew it, the steel had impaled my sisters heart. Her eyes made contact with me before she tumbled into the pool of blood.

"NOOOO!" I screamed, my voice cracking at the sight.

I gave up with my fighting and just dropped to the ground - pain consuming me.

"You see Abby," the man's sinister voice met my ears, "you're not going to come out alive. One way or another you are going to die - whether it's physically or mentally."

I didn't care anymore. My family was dead. Every single one of them. And it was all my fault.

⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆

With a loud gasp i jolted up in my bed the beads of sweat flowing down my face. I didn't even realise I was screaming until Silas entered my room and tightly wrapped his arms around me. I sobbed in his arms, my body trembling. I could hear him whispering into my head.

"You're safe, nobody can hurt you," he comforted me rocking me like I used to do with my sister.

Little did they know, that wasn't true. They were going into the hunger games soon.Nobody was ever really safe in this world.