Professional knife thrower

With a gasp, I jolted out of bed, a pool of sweat surrounding me. I let out a sigh and checked the time. 4am. I definitely won't be able to go back to sleep now.

After what had happened last night I went to my room and fell straight to sleep. I was still worried about Silas but after that I was scared to go near him.

Heading over to the large window by the edge of the apartment, I sat on the ledge with my legs up to my chest. Silas' words kept replaying in my mind.

"It's only a matter of time before you're dead!"

I know what he said was true. I had no knowledge of fighting or survival and all of the other tributes are older and more experienced than me.

Suddenly, my eyelids began to feel heavy and I drifted back off to sleep.

⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆

Opening my eyes to the incredible view, I stretched and yawned and tried to wake myself up. Today was the first day of training and I am going to see what everyone is capable of. To be honest, I was petrified but nobody was allowed to hurt each other until the games.

I got up from the ledge and made made my way to the dining area for breakfast.

As I reached the dining room, I could see Chaff's eyes on me. I took my seat at the table and just grabbed a slice of toast because I still didn't feel too hungry. Silas wasn't here and I was kind of glad if I was honest.

The table was loud today, everyone having their own conversations about all different things. The only silent ones there were me and Chaff. He looked as if he wanted to talk to me but he didn't.

⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆

Heading to the training room, I was once again nervous. That seemed to be my natural state for these past few days.

All of the tributes were lined up outside with their partner from their district. Luckily Silas wasn't there yet so I didn't have to worry about having to talk to him. Behind me I saw Jess who I gave a small wave and smile to which she returned.

After a few minutes one of the trainers opened the door and we all entered, looking around in awe. The facility was huge with so many different stations to train and and to look at.

The trainer began explaining to us how everything worked and the rules that were in place while we were there.

Once she had finished we were free to do what we liked. Jess and I stood there not sure on what to do.

"Hey, do you want to go and look at the survival station?" I asked her.

"Yeah okay," she replied and we headed over there.

We began to look at the different foods we can find in the arena and what we can and can't eat.

"When we're in the arena we're going to be allies right?" Jess asked me nervously.

"Of course," I smiled.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Silas enter the room with a peacekeeper and he was talking to a trainer. I went back to reading, not even wanting to think about him.

After looking at lots of different survival things I heard the room go silent. I looked up confused and then I saw Silas heading towards the knife throwing station.

Jess and I decided to join the other tributes and watch him.

He slowly picked up the knife and admired it in his grasp. He looked deadly with it. He brought it up to his nose and inhaled its scent.

His actions brought me deja vu. I swear I had seen someone do that before. I took no notice though.

He closed his eyes and got into position. With all his strength, he threw the knife straight through the targets heart. He then grabbed a handful more and threw them one after the other, failing to miss the target's heart.

By the end of it, most of the tributes were shocked as they would never have suspected that from someone in district 11. Even I was shocked. I had never suspected him of being good at that sort of thing. However, the tributes from the career districts looked impressed. They probably thought he would be a good addition to their pack.

Silas walked towards the career tributes as if nothing had happened and began laughing and joking with them as they headed to a different section. Silas looked at me for a split second, a hint of remorse behind his cold eyes.

The male district 4 tribute, who was standing next to me, came slightly closer. He must've been around 17-18.

"You're my first kill," he casually stated and walked off.

Jess and I headed back over to the fire making station and made fires for the remainder of training.