Big brother, Little sister

After tossing and turning for most of the night I finally got out of bed and headed to the dining area for breakfast. Silas had left my room after I had calmed down from that horrible nightmare last night. I don't think I'll ever have a good nights sleep after that.

I entered the living area to see that Silas, the 2 victors and star (the colourful lady) sitting at the dining table. They all seemed to look at me with a glimpse of sympathy in their eyes. I didn't want their sympathy. I didn't want them to treat me like some fragile child. (Although I knew I was)

Going and sitting down beside Silas, I grabbed a few pancakes and poured some maple syrup and whipped cream on them.

Silas was talking to chaff about how to get sponsors and how to survive in different climates. I listened in and noted down some techniques in my mind - still munching on my delicious pancakes.

We would be arriving in the capital in a few hours and I needed to get my head straight before we did.

⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆

Relaxing in the back of the train, I gazed out of the window losing myself in the glorious sky. I loved the way the clouds mixed with the different hues creating a masterpiece before my eyes. Watching the clouds pass by reminded me of my mum. We always headed up to the hill on the edge of district 11 when it wasn't too busy and we'd lay down and draw pictures in the clouds. I miss her in times like these. She always knew what to do or say to make me feel better.

My body tensed when I heard a knock at the door. I turned my head and saw Silas with a sad smile painted across his face. I readjusted my position on the chair and he came and joined me on the sofa.

"Are you feeling better after last night?" He asked, a look of concern gracing his features.

"Yeah, I'm okay," I replied with a smile.

My smile faded as a thought came to my mind.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I questioned him.

"What do you mean?" He responded curiously.

"Well, we're going into an arena in a few weeks where we will be forced to kill each other and we're probably going to die in there," I spilled out looking into his eyes.

"What you don't think I can win?" He joked.

"That-that's not what I meant," I stammered.

"It's alright," he chuckled shaking his head.

He let out a long sigh and looked down into his lap. I looked at him curiously.

"About 3 years ago, when I was 14, my little sister had passed away and she was around your age," he started,

"I'm sorry," I replied trying to comfort him.

"No, it's alright," he smiled. "I guess you just remind me of her and I want to be the good brother I never was."

Tears threatened to spill from his eyes but he blinked them away. I looked at him shocked at this information.

"A-anyways," he switched the conversation. "We should probably head back we'll be in the capital soon."

We both got up and walked back into the main part of the train getting closer and closer to our inevitable deaths.

~~~~~~
A/N
Hey guys sorry for the shorter chapter I didn't really know where to end it but...

I have some good things planned for the chapters ahead! And don't worry Finnick will come into the story soon 😏

Also thank you guys so much for reading this story. I wasn't even going to post this but my friend convinced me to. Anyways please comment and vote on the story!
ILY GUYS
~Abby x