Smile for the cameras

I was greeted by Silas who immediately wrapped his arms around me. I felt safe for a moment. He looked at me and smiled.

"You look nice," he stated.

"I know," I replied with a smirk.

We both laughed and joined the other tributes, waiting for our interviews.

Star and Chaff had talked to us and told us what we should say and reminded us that this was our last chance to get any last sponsors. I didn't really pay much attention to them though. I don't really care to say the least.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw those same angelic green-blue eyes from the parade staring right at me. Why was Finnick freaking Odair staring right at me? The urge to turn to him and take him in was overpowering me. I couldn't stop myself.

I looked right into his eyes. I knew it was a mistake once I did it but I didn't care. It felt like the whole world around us stopped and it was like I was being consumed by his soul. I felt the heat rush to the surface of my body and it was like I was glued into place.

I felt a cold hand on my shoulder and it was as if all that heat was melted away. My eyes left his and instead met the icy ones of Silas. He had a smirk on his face and he let out a breathy laugh.

"You alright there?" he laughed at me.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I looked away and focused on anything else than him.

I mentally scolded myself for that. I could still feel Finnick's gaze on me and saw a small smirk form on his lips but I took no notice. This was going to be a long day.

⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆ ★ ⋆

The boy from district 10 had just finished his interview which meant that I was up next. My palms were quite sweaty and I had the urge to scratch my neck but I knew I would get told off for making it red.

I could hear the presenter - Caesar Flickerman - introducing me and I prepared my lines.

Chaff gave me a quick reminder and wished me good luck as I was called up onto the stage.

I plastered on a fake smile and waved at the crowd which erupted in cheers.

I walked over to Caesar and he kissed the top of my hand as we sat in our chairs for the interview.

"My oh my you look beautiful, doesn't she look beautiful!" He asked the crowd and they gave a huge cheer in response.

"Thank you," I smiled, looking at the crowd.

Oh how I wished I could get out of there.

"So I have a question for you," he started, in a serious tone.

The crowd became dead silent awaiting the question which was to come.

"How do you feel about going into the games?" He asked.

My throat went dry, I knew he was going to ask that. What do I even reply with?

"Well... if I'm being honest, I'm a little nervous," I answered shyly trying to stop my leg from bouncing up and down.

"Well everyone would feel a little nervous in your situation," he smiled. "But Abby, everyone would like to know something else."

Please don't ask about my sister. Please don't...

"What made you volunteer for your sister?"

Of course he had to ask that.

My breath hitched in my throat and my eyes began to tear up just hearing about her.

"Well..." i began, not knowing how to answer. "I couldn't let her go into that arena, not after everything she has been through," I finished, my voice breaking towards the end.

There were a series of awes echoing through the crowd and i pursed my lips trying to blink away the tears forming in my eyes.

"I can tell you love your sister a lot," Caesar reassures me with a sympathetic look in his eyes.

I am glad he didn't push on the subject.

"Well I have one last question for you," he stated.

Thank god, I thought I could finally get this over with.

"How did you manage to score an 8?" He questioned.

I let out a small laugh.

"Well I guess from all of the things I've been learning in training they really helped me out," I finished with a smile.

Caesar sent me a warm smile and stood up alongside me and held my hand into the air.

"Your female tribute from district 11, Abby Moore everybody!" He announced and the crowd cheered once again.

I was guided off of the stage and relief flooded my veins. I hope I did a good job.

I was greeted with a hug from Chaff.

"You did well kid," he said and pulled out of the hug.

Silas' interview was up next and I went towards the big tv screen to watch it.

At that moment I realised something, we would be going into the arena in a matter of days. How ready really was I?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Hey guys I know this chapter sucks 😭
But they will be going into the arena in the next chapter or so and I already have a lot of that planned.
Also sorry I haven't updated in a while I have had writers block and I've been quite busy but I'll try my best to update more frequently.

Anyways stay safe ily guys
                                           ~Abby x