Chapter 4

I sighed

I sighed. God, these fucking Russians are making it hard to do my job. I finally signed the paper and took a breath, rubbing my temples.

Then the blaring sound of my phone ringing went off. I picked it up and glimpsed at the caller ID. Salt Lake City PD. I picked up the call. "What?" I snapped, my anger radiating off of me.

"Mr. Valenti, correct? I am officer Jess Woods from Salt Lake City Police Department," A woman said on the other end of the line.

"Yes. Get to the point, I'm very busy here," I said with a sigh. Why would they call me?

"Right. We currently have a girl, Elara Smith, in our station. Her mother and stepfathers place burned down, and their bodies were untraceable. We matched her DNA to yours and are wondering if you'd like to take her in. If not, she will be placed in a foster home or orphanage until she is of age to leave."

Elara.

There was no way. How could it be her? I froze.

"Sir?" The lady asked.

"Is this a sick joke?" I asked, my voice cold.

"No, sir. I can send a picture if you'd like. But we need to know your decision," she said.

"Yes. Yes, I'll take her in! We will be there in a matter of hours. Thank you," I said, tears pooling in my eyes.

"Great to hear. I will send you details and we will see you soon," Officer Woods said before cutting the call.

I set my phone on the table and leaned on it, my palms resting forward on the polished wood. I almost felt dizzy. We have been looking for her since she was taken but could never find her. How was that possible? We are the goddamn mafia.

A lone tear rolled down my cheek as a smile made it's way to my face.

There was knock at the door then my second oldest son, Lorenzo, walked in. "Dad? Why are you crying and smiling like a mad man?" He asked, slowly approaching closer.

"They found her," I said, lifting my head to look at him. My voice broke a bit.

Realization hit him but he still asked, "Found who?" To make sure.

"Our bambina. Enzo, they found her."

Lorenzo came forward with tears in his eyes and gave me a firm hug. He stood only a little shorter than me. "Oh my god," Enzo sniffled.

We pulled apart and wiped our tears, regaining composure. "Are you sure?" He asked.

Then I felt my phone buzz. "Let's see," I said, pulling up the message with Elara's details. There was a picture of her. It looked like an older version of the bambina I knew when she was a baby. Although, under her clothing she looked a bit frail. Pale, too. But she was beautiful.

"It really is her," Lorenzo said, not being able to take his eyes off the picture.

"I'll call a family meeting. Don't mention anything until then and meet me in the living room," I said.