17

Hridyanshu snapped out of his bubble and hardened his gaze when Nalani stopped before him

Hridyanshu snapped out of his bubble and hardened his gaze when Nalani stopped before him. "Well, you look surprised." They had a staring context. "If you do not want any more attention from others. We have to take our seats."

Hridyanshu cleared his throat before taking his seat. Nalani is nervous about it, but she doesn't want Hridyanshu to know about it. She knew what the outcome would be. "What are you doing here, Nalani?" Nalani fisted her hand to stop it from shaking. The lethal look in his eyes knew she was screwed.

Hridyanshu tapped his finger on his thigh as he went through the sequences that happened before he arrived there. His mother would always share basic details and show him the picture of the woman he would meet. But this time she hadn't shared any information. When he walked into the dining room in the morning, he caught Vidha and Vedant bewildered. "Is this some kind of prank that you trying to pull on me?"

Nalani smirked, "Why would I take time to fly here to prank you?" Hridyanshu chuckled, "You have done that in the past, Nalani."

"I'm not here to prank." Hridyanshu was quiet and observed Nalani. "Whose decision was this?" Nalani placed her bag and was comfortable knowing it was going to be a long night. "Does it matter?"

"We are here and it doesn't change anything."

"It does." Hridyanshu picked up his keys and phone. Nalani's brows frowned. She placed her hand on his and tightened her hold. "I know you are furious but do not disrespect me by leaving the table." Her eyes held the message clearly. Hridyanshu wanted to leave before they ended up having a fight.

"If my parents forced you to come here. I will speak with them." Hridyanshu called the waiter. "We will have dinner and leave."

Nalani chuckled, "Do you think I would be here because the elders forced me? You should've known me better in all these years."

Hridyanshu stuck his tongue inside the roof of his mouth and clenched his jaw as he stared at Nalani. The waiter greeted them and handed them the menu. "Are you implying that you came here on your acceptance?"

"Yes." Nalani didn't look at him and answered the waiter. "Give us a couple of minutes." Hridyanshu was quiet for the next thirty minutes. He was processing everything in his mind and, for some reason, Nalani was calm and composed while he was becoming wrecked with the thoughts.

*

Nalani swilled her wine while looking at Hridyanshu, who barely touched his food. He kept drinking the wine and didn't even try to make eye contact with her.

"I do not want to blame anyone on this date. I came here on my own." Hridyanshu looked at Nalani as she sipped her wine. "Let's come straight to the point."

Nalani picked up the tissue and cleaned her mouth before sighing. "I have got feelings for you Hridyanshu." Hridyanshu stopped breathing for a second before he looked away, breaking eye contact. "I do not know what you feel about me, but I'm not the one to step down without knowing what it is that wreaked my mind and developed feelings on you."

"I do not accept this." Nalani smiled, "And why is that?"

"I do not have feelings for you. It will break the connection and friendship between the two families. It will only be awkward things."

"You do not have to worry about such things. We are grown-ups and I don't feel awkward. Nothing will tarnish the connection or friendship between families." Hridyanshu shook his head.

"I say no."

"You are rejecting me?"

"Yes."

Nalani nodded her head. "Give three reasons why you are rejecting me?" Nalani waited for his answer while she ate her food.

"I do not have to give any reason for rejecting you."

"You have to when I said I have feelings for you. It is decency." Hridyanshu signed and clasped his hands together. "You are like Vidha to me. I have only seen you as my― sister."

"You and I know that isn't true. Even if it is, I do not accept you as my brother. So it is invalid."

"How?"

"It is two-way and we are not in any way related. Nor have I seen you like a brother figure."

"You have seen Vedant as a brother figure," Hridyanshu said. Nalani chuckled "When did I see him as a brother? We are good friends and I would love to see him as a brother-in-law," Nalani said. Hridyanshu choked on his breath.

"What?"

"You do not have any reason to reject me. Let's go on dates." Hridyanshu looked at Nalani with a puzzled expression. "Let us go on eight dates. Twice a week, we would get to know each other, other than as Vidha's best friend and Vidha's brother. That way, I would get my answers and you would be finding three reasons."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"You have no option, Hridyanshu. I'm agreeing on something rather than forcing you to marry me."

"You are forcing me to go on a date with you." Nalani raised her brow. "I'm not forcing you, I'm putting it on the table. Either you and I decide this by ourselves or else I will allow Vrishali auntie to take the responsibility. You know how much power she has over you."

Hridyanshu was so stunned and a sardonic laugh left his mouth. "That would be using my mother's power to go on a date with me."

Nalani nodded her head. "Yes, I would do anything to make you go on a date with me."

"I will not count this as a date. I will be calling you next week to decide our date." Nalani asked the waiter to bring the bill. Hridyanshu placed his hand on the bill when Nalani placed her card. "What are you doing?"

"As this isn't a date, let's split the bill." Hridyanshu shook his head. "No, I will not allow it." He gently placed her card before her, before keeping his card and closing the bill.

Hridyanshu's mind is a mess. Why didn't he put up with Nalani's suggestion? He doesn't know, he needs to go home and take a rest. "Where are you staying?" Hridyanshu asked. "I'm staying at the Hyatt." Hridyanshu nodded his head. "My parents are here."

"I will drop you at the hotel."

"You don't have to."

"It's late."

"Okay." Nalani was thankful that Hridyanshu decided to drop her. Not that she is afraid of booking an Uber or Ola. It's just that it wouldn't sound good if her parents decided to ask who dropped her at the hotel.

The ride to the hotel was silent. Nalani hummed a soft melody with her fingers tapping on her knee as she looked out of the window. It was drizzling and the weather looked cosy. She had a perfect plan of ordering the wine and watching an old classic. Hridyanshu tried to focus on everywhere but Nalani.

When they reached the hotel, Hridyanshu dropped her at the entrance. "Hridyanshu, I know you are in shock and you don't want to accept this. But before rejecting me, try to spend some time with me." Nalani's voice was gentle and soft. "I'm looking forward to going on dates with you. I hope you answer my calls." Nalani didn't wait for Hridyanshu's reply. She turned away and started walking towards the entrance. Hridyanshu waited for her to walk in. Once he knew she was inside the hotel, he left the place.

*

Do like and comment on the story! Thank you for all the comments on previous chapters. ❤️🥹