40

Hridyanshu clicked his tongue and sighed in defeat. Vidha pushed her hair back and watched Vedant and Atulya. "Do you have to go?" Hridyanshu asked. Atulya nodded. He was serious, and they couldn't stop him. 

"But when are you going to return? The wedding is in a week. You returned yesterday, and you are leaving," Vedant said. Atulya's phone kept ringing. "It's an emergency."

"What kind of emergency? Is it about your patients?" Vedant asked, and Atulya didn't answer. Atulya is being tight-lipped around them. Vidha watched for a minute before opening her mouth.

"Okay, this is important, and we cannot stop him or argue. He is a doctor, and his profession is above everything. Let him go," Vidha said. Vedant and Hridyanshu were silent for a moment. They were leaving in two hours for Kerala, where the wedding was happening. 

"Okay, you leave now, but do not forget to call us. I don't know what kind of emergency you have. Try to be there at the wedding." 

Atulya breathed out and gave them a nod. He walked out of the room. Vidha got off the chair and followed Atulya out. Atulya was checking his messages. Vidha could say that Atulya was worried and anxious. 

"Atulya. . ." Atulya stopped walking and turned around to see Vidha. They were alone in the hallway. "I don't know what this emergency is. You are anxious― I hope whatever it is in Mumbai, sort it off before returning. Nothing's going to happen. Don't worry about Mama and Papa. They will understand." 

Atulya just patted Vidha's head before hurrying to his room. "Do you think something has happened that involves Atulya?" Vedant asked. 

"Atulya has never caused any serious trouble, and I don't believe he would do anything to harm anyone. We shouldn't pressure him if he doesn't want to share his problems. It's best to let him handle his issues in his way," Hridyanshu said. Vedant nodded, but he had a nagging feeling in the back of his head. 

"Okay."

*

Nalani wrapped her arms around Hridyanshu as soon as he entered the room. "I missed you," Hridyanshu whispered before giving a kiss. Nalani chuckled. They could hear the conversations happening outside the room. 

"I heard your grandma wasn't really happy about the wedding arrangements?" Nalani asked. She is upset that the wedding won't be held at the city palace, where everyone in our family has had their weddings. However, she is happy for us and adores you." 

"Hmm, are you okay with our wedding happening here?" Nalani asked. She was slightly nervous when she mentioned that she wanted her wedding to happen in her hometown. She knew the royal weddings had to take place in the city palace. That was the age-old tradition, and she wasn't sure if everyone would agree.

To her surprise, Vrishali and Padmanabh laughed and said they had no right to interfere and would be happy with their decision. The cleaning and painting of the old house took them a month. Now, it was being decorated for the wedding. 

Hridyanshu cupped Nalani's face. "I'm happy to marry you and would be happy with your decision. I have never thought of where I would be marrying. So, I don't have any reason to be upset with our wedding happening here." 

"I would always agree to things that make you happy." There was a knock, and both turned their gaze to the door. A second later, Vidha and Nalani's cousins entered the room. Hridyanshu and Nalani unwrapped their arms and stood side by side. 

"Awe, sorry to disturb you guys, but there's no room for us to sit," Nalani said, pulling her luggage inside. "You are sharing the room with her?" Hridyanshu asked Nalani. Vidha rolled her eyes. "Nalani always shares her room with Aadya and me." 

Devanjana and Janaki gave a shy wave to Hridyanshu. Nalani chuckled at her cousins. "Hridyanshu, you met Devanjana and Janaki during our engagement. They wanted to say hi to you."

"Hello," Hridyanshu said, pushing his hand out for a handshake. He didn't want to scare the girls off. "Hello." Devanjana shook hands with Hridyanshu shyly before looking at Janaki. "They are here to ask you something," Vidha said, and Aadya walked in.

"What's happening?" Aadya asked, making her way towards the bed. Hridyanshu looked at Devanjana and Janaki. Nalani, Dyuthi is calling you, and it's an emergency." 

"Okay, I will be back." Nalani left the room. 

"They wanted to speak with Hridyanshu," Vidha said. Aaya looked at the girls and smiled. Devanjana and Janaki were too shy to speak with Hridyanshu. "Come on, girls. He isn't going to eat you two. You can ask him anything, and he will give you," Aadya said. She already knew why they were here and what they would ask. 

Vidha chuckled. "My brother isn't scary even though he is scary-looking." Aadya shared a look with Vidha before laughing. "Do you girls want me to ask?" Aadya suggested, and the girl immediately nodded their heads. 

Hridyanshu looked at Aadya. "Okay, we are having dance rehearsals for Sangeet night." Hridyanshu nodded. And Nalani's sisters are doing a group dance, including mine."

"Okay? That's nice." Aadya smiled. "And. . . We sisters are also planning to do a special dance for Nalani. We have never seen you dance, and we heard you aren't going to perform on Sangeet." 

"Nada, our family is doing a surprise dance for Nalani. He is going to dance, but Nalani doesn't know that he will dance," Vidha said. 

"Wow, that's cool. Anyway, we want you to dance with us—like, you and us. Nalani's sisters, Vidha and me. You will be in the centre. Nalani once told us that she wants her groom to dance with her best friends." 

"She didn't tell you because she knew you wouldn't be comfortable with it. But we want to give her a surprise. So, what do you think?" Aadya and everyone in the room waited for Hridyanshu's answer.

Hridyanshu had never danced before. Vidha said, "Nalani will be so happy to see you dance with her favourite girls. That will become a core memory." 

Hridyanshu looked at Danjana and Janaki, who were waiting for his answer. He suddenly felt shy and nervous. Dancing with his family is comfortable, but dancing with girls will be tough. 

"Come on, don't think much. We won't make you uncomfortable for sure," Aadya said. 

"Sure." Aadya beamed along with the girls.  Danjana and Janaki left the room happily. Aadya took a seat on the bed. "Have you guys eaten something?" 

"No, did you eat?" Vidha asked. "Nope, I was planning to eat at this local area that Sanjay was saying." 

"The one where they are serving toddy?" Vidha asked. "Yeah."

"Cool, I also wanted to eat there. They will also join," Vidha said. Aadya gave a nod. "You will join us, right?" Aadya asked Hridyanshu. "Sure, I don't have any plans."

"On our way back, we can go to the waterfalls."