✧2: a latte a day keeps the projections away. wait no-✧

The following day you awoke to the sound of your alarm clock blaring in your ear. Groaning, you take your arm and slap the snooze button only for another alarm to sound from your phone. This process repeats for a couple more seconds before you finally give up and drag yourself out of bed to start the day.

Making your way downstairs after getting ready, you groggily head over to your kitchen to prepare breakfast. Rummaging through your fridge got you a pack of bread and some fruit, while the pantry had a jar of coffee grounds. Meh, it'll do. Though it was about time you went out for more groceries...

Sticking some bread in the toaster, you check your phone to see if anything interesting was going on. You scrolled through various articles as you waited for your toast. Nothing seemed to be new...some new trend was going viral, another territorial dispute-same old stuff. The toaster dinged to signal your breakfast was ready and you set down your phone to pull the toast out, the bread warm on your fingertips. You place the toast on the plate you had already set out. One part of breakfast complete, on to your coffee.

You set your mug and strainer out and put some water in a pot to boil when you hear a buzz come from beside you. You you look back at your phone to see you got a new text notification. It was from a pal of yours, Kai. He served as the "almost-but-not-quite" roommate in your life. Seriously, he's spent so many late nights in your guest room for so long that it was about time he started helping pay rent.

Plopping onto a nearby chair you open up your phone, opening up your texts to see what he wanted.

──────────

come over to my place you gotta see what i found

wtf man lemme have some food first.

nevermind your poor excuse for toast

──────────

You blink. How did he...? You chuckle a bit at his on-point guess, quickly typing back a reply.

──────────

i burnt it ONE time

and besides can't you just come over here instead

i've got some work to finish up and i can't miss the deadline this time

aight fine

just know it was you responsible for the draining of my gas money

you live 15 minutes away😑

same difference

──────────

You take your toast and finish it off in a few bites, getting up from the chair to place your dish in the sink. You wonder what Kai could have found this time that had got him so excited. He had a hobby of going to thrift shops around town, always trying to find the weirdest items to buy. It was always amusing to you how he always got so worked up over it.

Ok, main course is finished and water for coffee is boiling. What else did you want to eat? Oh, right. You look over to the counter, seeing the fruit. You head on over to it, wanting to grab a apple. Seems like a nice side dish.

Your thoughts were interrupted by you falling face-first into the floor. A hand flew up to the bridge of your nose, a tender pain starting to creep through it.

Groaning, you look back at the floor to see what had made you trip. It was one of your plushies. It sat smack dab in the middle of the kitchen, its cheery eyes staring mockingly at you.

You used the counter to hoist yourself up, staring right back at the toy. Odd. How'd it get out of your room?

Your sleepy self quickly dismissed the thought, picking it up and putting it on a nearby shelf. You had probably just left it downstairs the night before and it rolled into the kitchen from the couch. Yep, that's good enough reasoning.

...

You should get started on that coffee.

***

Retrival in process.↺34%